Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Map of the Kingdoms and Principalities in Aran & Ilan

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default Map of the Kingdoms and Principalities in Aran & Ilan

Okay, I really hate myself for doing this, but... I'm re-rebooting my Twin Kingdoms map.

I know. I'm sorry. The only excuse I can find (and it's a poor one) is the fact that I'm still slaving away at my novel, so as long as that's not finished, the map can be considered a work in progress as well. Poor excuse indeed...

Still! Before I show you guys what progress I've made, I assume it wouldn't be a bad thing to showcase some of the previous iterations of this map.

1. The less-than-impressive beginning (a badly drawn map on a piece of paper, photographed and clumsily coloured in)

Erhaniell%u00252520%2526%2520Ilya.jpg
    2. The first "final version" (in the magnicifent Arsheesh-style, though not nearly as perfectly executed)

51685d1359578585-map-twin-kingdoms-aran-ilan-awi_relief6.jpg
    3. The second "final version" (this time a hand-drawn type of map, completely from scratch)

AWI_handdrawn_overhaul14.jpg

It looks like I'm going back and forth between the hand-drawn style and the more satellite-like style. And my newest version is no exception to that rule! While I liked the look of the mountains and the forests of my last final product, I still missed something in the lands between the rivers. There still was a sort of emptiness. A feel of desolation, of non-definition if you will.

So I set about drawing out the relief map of the place. In excruciating detail. Took me several months! Then I kinda dropped the project (my girlfriend started complaining about the lack of attention, and not unduly so!), but since this emptiness kept bugging me, I kept waiting for an opportunity to pick up the mapmaking business again. And that opportunity finally presented itself the past two weeks. With the kind permission of my SO, I dedicated a carefully measured amount of time to the re-re-rebirth of my map.

It's not finished yet - not by a long shot. But the most important work, the foundations of the map so to speak, have been laid out, and now I can really start drawing in the details.

So this is it. My current work in progress:

AWI_handdrawn_overhaul15.jpg

Let me know what you think!

All the best,
    C
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 01-07-2016 at 09:41 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Welcome to the Church of the Never Satisfied!

I like your new version so far and will enjoy seeing it filled out. Your previous hand-drawn map was very pretty, so I'm looking forward to seeing you top that.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I loved your previous version, but I think I'm going to LUST this one.

Hehe, welcome to the club! I also love your previous version, and I'm curious to see what you'll do with this new one.

Is the relief work hand drawn? It's gorgeous! I can see why it would have taken you so long. I'm excited to watch this develop.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Is the relief work hand drawn? It's gorgeous! I can see why it would have taken you so long. I'm excited to watch this develop.
    Not hand drawn directly, the shading etc are computer-generated. But I did draw the contour lines for the DEM file manually. Which was a pain in the ass, I can tell you ;-). You can find the stepped version below. Unstepping the file took another titanic amount of work, but ultimately I arrived where I wanted to be: the bump file that I used as backdrop for this map.

A sample of the (stepped) DEM file:
    AWI_relief-revamp.jpg

I've also had the opportunity to work on the map a bit. No huge leaps, but some progress at least.

• Tweaked the rivers some more, so they look more natural.
    • Adapted the terrain map, so some areas seem more rugged than in the previous version, while others now seem more habitable.
    • Added the towns and cities and their icons (decided to go for simple dots of varying sizes instead of the more elaborate icons I used in the other version). The font size for the city names is rather small, but any bigger would demand too much attention (and I want people to stare at the terrain, of course!).
    • I also played with the oceans a bit: darker tones, and a nice little Lagrange grid. The subcontinent you see on the map is about the size of Europe, and I hope the grid helps convey that message.

As always, thanks for your great comments and suggestions! Let me know what you think of this WIP!

AWI_handdrawn_overhaul16.jpg
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Blog Entries

But I did draw the contour lines for the DEM file manually. Which was a pain in the ass, I can tell you ;-)
    odd that is normally very easy and fast
    i used a "posterize" filter to drop the 8 bit dem copies ( 255 tones) to 12 tones

took 30 seconds
    --Olympus Mons
    -- Valles Marineris

--- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Well yeah, but what I actually did was the opposite: turning an image with 16 different grey levels (the one I posted above) in one with 256 (the smooth bump lighted version you see in the map). That's a rather more complex process ;-)
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 01-06-2016 at 04:28 PM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Blog Entries

I like a lot all your "final" versions!
    And especially the last one: since I used the same technique to get my DTM, I see your point.
    Did you also apply an erosion cycle to the raw DTM?

Ah I feel your pain, as a fellow novel writer whose pretty much obsessed with the world building (thankfully still hasn't gotten in between me and my own SO). I love the maps you've created, especially the mountains! Keep in the good work and hopefully I'll able to read your novel admiring one of your 'final' maps. Now I have to go and redraw some house crests, because few of them have the same charge as some of yours

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast