Hello everyone,

I found this forum by following a link from Deviant Art, where I was looking at maps and thinking about the world I've been building for a dozen years. I used to make maps for it with paper and colored pencils, and I switched to digital methods which are pretty crude but serve my planning purposes. My map making has always been to serve the ends of my writing. Currently I have a novel set in my world that is at about 200K words and is still growing. Of course I dream of one day getting it published and seeing it become a bestseller, and of course I'd like it to include some nice maps. That's why I've started looking at cartographers. (The world could be described as a fantasy world, but there's no magic. Theology is pretty important in the story though.) I like the styles of maps from the 16th-18th centuries and have envisioned having at least one map in my book being done in the style of Bernardo Miera y Pacheco's maps of New Mexico and the territory explored by the Dominguez-Escalante expedition.

It's good to see there's a forum for this! I've already enjoyed looking at a lot of the work here and look forward to seeing more! Thanks everyone!