Thread: September 2014 Challenge: Weapon Racks

Default September 2014 Challenge: Weapon Racks

Hey all - Since I suggested this challenge way back when I sort of feel obliged to enter. Although I LOVE all the objects on the Dunjinni forums and have raided most of that database, i've always felt that weapon racks were sort of lacking (not a lot of wall leaning top down views and those that exist weren't very convincing) - so I figured I would torture myself this month trying to figure out how to make ones that I really liked. (In trying to do this I now realize how difficult it is and why there are so few objects in that perspective available)

Here is sort of a proof of concept where i'm just trying to figure out the perspective and play around with some of the options in photoshop. Once I can figure out how to get the perspective I want, I will mess with details and pretty it up. Any suggestions (particularly if you know some of the photoshop transformative tools well) is appreciated.

Oh yeah - and just to be clear - any objects I make for this challenge are free to use in MAPS (for commercial or non-commercial purposes)

AC_Spear Rack3.png Weapon Rack Test.jpg
    Last edited by anomiecoalition; 09-13-2014 at 01:21 PM.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

I think longweapons are normally stood upright, maybe slightly inclined - It looks good, but I'd like to see something with 'vertical' weapons, too ...

Agreed...I used spears because they were simple and would give me an idea of whether the perspective was working. Ultimately I would "like" to do swords and bows on the horizontal rack and then make a vertical rack for long weapons...and if i really have the time/energy do something for armor.

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by anomiecoalition View Post
    Although I LOVE all the objects on the Dunjinni forums and have raided most of that database, i've always felt that weapon racks were sort of lacking (not a lot of wall leaning top down views and those that exist weren't very convincing) - so I figured I would torture myself this month trying to figure out how to make ones that I really liked. (In trying to do this I now realize how difficult it is and why there are so few objects in that perspective available)
    I agree with you on both counts, there are not enough good weapon racks on Dundjinni ( or anywhere else ) and yes it is very hard to do that perspective. My suggestion is to work with everything oversized and then when it is done and looks good, resize it down to an appropriate size (or slightly larger ).

Everyone maps at different sizes and resolutions, but it is always easier to make an object smaller to fit your map than to have to make it bigger and get pixelated.
    And if you would like those of us who use DundJinni to be able to use them we need 1" = 5' at 200 pix / inch (dpi or ppi)

Great start AC!

Don't forget, the challenge ends on Friday, hope you have been able to work on this, we need weapon racks!

And don't forget the ### Latest WIP ### thingy.

So - ran out of time on this one. They are pretty crappy, but I'll try to keep working on it and post something better down the road.

AC_Bow Rack.png AC_Mace Rack.png AC_Spear Rack3.png AC_Sword Rack.png

### LATEST WIP ###
    test.jpg