Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October/November 2014 Entry: Wisptown

Default October/November 2014 Entry: Wisptown

I made a start on this yesterday and tonight. Here is the description that TheHoarseWhisperer gave me:

Content: map of the frontier settlement of Wisptown.
    Specifics: the map should depict both the town of Wisptown, and the Carnival that has set itself up outside town. The town is located in a huge swamp (I think swamps are underused as fantasy town sites). The layout of the town, its buildings/shops and its general geography are up to you. Specific locations within the town that should be included are:
    I) Central Trade Depot;
    II) Thorn & Sons Company District Offices, next door to the Central Trade Depot;
    III) the District Courthouse & Gaol, Sheriff’s Office and Bounty Office, next door to the Company District Offices;
    IV) Boatman’s Jetty, and the nearby Company Warehouses;
    V) at least one bar/gambling house; and
    VI) the Carnival, somewhere outside the town.

Description:
    Wisptown lies right on the frontier, far from civilisation, deep within the swamps.
    It is a place inhabited by the desperate, the reckless, and the cunning.
    A place where trade, individuality, and enterprise dominate peoples’ thoughts.
    A place where gunslingers, outlaws and bounty hunters roam the wilds.
    A place where, after years of skirmishes and retaliations, humans live in uneasy peace with the native frogmen.
    A place where daring wisptrappers have the dangerous job of catching Will-o-the-Wisps for their precious bioluminescent oil, used in the Capital City’s streetlamps.
    A place unofficially run by Thorn & Sons, the company that runs the City’s streetlamps, and pulls the strings of law enforcement in Wisptown.
    A place where the ominous and mysterious Carnival has recently arrived, casting brightly coloured lights across the swamps, and bringing strange and sinister events with it.

I am not entirely sure how I am going to handle all the wetland yet.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is off to such a great start. Can't wait to see how you finish it!

By the way, I've started designing my map according to your brief, and, with luck, will be able to start a thread and share pictures tomorrow.

THW.

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I like! The description is really interesting and the map looks great so far. For the wetlands, I would start with picking a range of much darker greens and browns, but from there, I don't know either…

Some of you guys make me sick. The way you get things going so quickly. I'm more like wading through mud...Anyway, I love this so far.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I've been busy over the weekend but I worked on this some more today. I am not at all happy with the swampy bit. May start over on that and try a different approach. I have lots of shading to do too.

I added more buildings especially on the eastern side with all raised wooden walkways to make it more interesting.

### Latest WIP ###

The swamp looks fantastic!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I love the shape of the swampy part. You may want to just rough it up a little with some water plants and/or texture on the solid bits (read texture as color variation, not necessarily an actual texture overlay).

Just to let people know I haven't forgotten about this. I hope to finish this tomorrow and will try and post an update later tonight!

And here is an update. Still need to work on the swamp water a bit more but it is finally getting there. I should have it done in the next day or so.

### Latest WIP ###

Looking great!

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast