Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October/November 2014 Challenge: Kingdom of Värda (commissioned by tainotim)

Wip October/November 2014 Challenge: Kingdom of Värda (commissioned by tainotim)

Tainotim was awesome enough to be my partner in this months challenge. The commission was to create a three-way map, showing a kingdom, a small region over a area in that kingdom, and a city map with fantasy elements.

I have the base outline of the kingdom and the city, I am still not sure on what part of the map I am wanting to use for the regional map. I still need to clean up a lot of the lines and shapes for the city map and add a lot of detail.

Criticism, suggestions, and comments are always appreciated.

### Latest WIP ###

Kingdom_of_Värda1.jpg

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Ooooh nice! This should be a good one.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

I like the idea a lot.
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Thanks Diamond and Xpian!

I did a lot more detail work, shadows, water texture, I added the cliffs that are shown in the city map. Added forest, and some city icons.

Criticism, suggestions, and comments always appreciated.

### Latest WIP ###
    Kingdom_of_Värda2.jpg
    Last edited by Domino44; 10-13-2014 at 10:23 PM.

It depends completely if you planned to color the map (and how), but right now, I would go for outlined cities icons. They clash a bit with the other elements, imho.
    All the rest is going along very well in my eyes!

I agree with Ilanthar. Alternatively, I would also try with tiny isometric city icons.

I agree with you both, I will work on different icons. I added some base color to the bottom main map, a background texture, and added a new aspect to the city.

The city of Skild was a very rich city, it's natural barriers made it a safe and secure home. The people of Skild were drenched in tradition and perfection, their ways were intensely intricate and political. The stories of their success drew the poor and needy subjects of the Kingdom of Värda to the city in search of a better life. Skild's leaders fearing that their city was being polluted because of their presence raised their land and homeowner prices so high that it would be impossible for the immigrants to build a life there. With all of their hopes shattered they resorted to build along the cliff side. Now home to the underground and poorest of people the Overhang continues to grow but it stays continually crowded dangerous.

Criticism, suggestion, and comments are always appreciated.

### Latest WIP ###
    Kingdom_of_Värda3.jpg

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Those forests look great. I always fail miserably at those iso forests...

It looks great Domino44! Can't wait for the next post. I sent you more thorough feedback in private messages!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Diamond, Thank you so much! I am very happy with how the forest are turning out as well and I'm glad you like them.

tainotim, Thanks for the input, I tried to make those changes for you. I didn't do anything with the backstory and I'm still thinking that over. Let me know if there is anything else you would like me to do.

I added color to the city and some more detail overall. I started adding new city icons and a statue that is carved out of a mountain.

Criticism, suggestion, and comments are always appreciated.

### Latest WIP ###
    Kingdom_of_Värda4.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast