Thread: December 2014 Challenge: <Built on the Forges of Filter>

Banned User

Default December 2014 Challenge: <Built on the Forges of Filter>

Cool looking map Chick, great job with the labeling.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Cool looking map Chick, great job with the labeling.
    Thanks, Bogie, labels seem to be the one thing I can do well The rest stinks.

But at least almost everything else is based on the filterforge textures

Banned User

Chick, there's a seamless tiling checkbox on that landscape_farms filter. Might make Cheshira look smoother, if it's not too late to substitute.

And "stinks" is wrong. Maybe you know you could make it smell better if you had more time to tinker with FilterForge, but it's a far from stinky map :-).

<hmmm.... maps that smell better.... how does one get scratch-n-sniff technology over the web? Think, think, think (imagine Pooh bear deep in thought) ... >

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Chick, there's a seamless tiling checkbox on that landscape_farms filter. Might make Cheshira look smoother, if it's not too late to substitute.

And "stinks" is wrong. Maybe you know you could make it smell better if you had more time to tinker with FilterForge, but it's a far from stinky map :-).

<hmmm.... maps that smell better.... how does one get scratch-n-sniff technology over the web? Think, think, think (imagine Pooh bear deep in thought) ... >
    Yes, but like with any seamless tiling, when you change the scale, the tile pattern becomes obvious.

Seamless Texture Tiling.jpg

So what I did instead was render 2 different ones and manually tile them in various rotations. I've made an attempt to hide some of the seam lines in the next version.

<Added thought> In fact, now that I think about it, one of the things filterforge should consider is an option to create a "tiled" version using all different variations of the tile type. Right now, as far as I could figure out, you can make the seamless image any size you want, but it's still just one tile. I'd find it very valuable to have that same size image tiled with a larger number of all different tiles that still fit seamlessly. I'd like to say I want 40x40 tiles, each different, filling my rendered image seamlessly. Now THAT would get me excited.
    Last edited by Chick; 01-15-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Banned User

Yes - the new crazy quilt looks better. Nicely stitched!

That's kind of what i did with the city block tiles in the lite challenge - while i could've built an infinite repeating city from one tile, it worked better to render a bunch of similar ones as raw materials and stitch them. If I had more patience, it could have been truly seamless, since individual blocks look to be in discrete sizes - like rotating a flattened-out Rubiks Cube (which I do NOT have the patience for) to get like to line up with like. Also like you, what immediately comes to mind is "gee, but if it only did..." , in my case, allow chunks of city with different orientations :-).

Really what the company is trying to incite is not just use of their product, but use of it to make new filters. That huge library of possibilities is a fertile ecosystem - comments go like "extended so-and-so's first version to also do yadda." So far I have enjoyed the ones made by others without quite being tempted to roll my own. Has anybody here been tempted to the point of experimentation with building filters?
    Last edited by jbgibson; 01-16-2015 at 01:27 AM.