Thread: Working on drawing mountains

Wip Working on drawing mountains

Sort of mostly done my current map, and wanting to learn properly how to draw mountains for the next one. I've followed the advice that was given to chick in the thread here, but I want to know how I did.

prac_mountain1.jpg
    Last edited by Azphreal; 04-07-2015 at 11:15 AM.

Banned User

That's a great start, much better than my first (several) attempts were

I think there's a bit too much pattern with High/Low/Lower repeated from the top down, so now add in more variation and irregularity, and you've got a nice mountain range!

Pretty much what Chick said, your mountain ridge liner are too linier. You need to give them more of a stepped look left and right.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll have another go at it when I get some free time and see what happens. It took me a few moments to see what you meant, but yeah. The range does sort of have an even slope on the left and drop off on the right.

Make the range slope off to the right and fixed a bit in the upper left that was bothering me. Darkened some of the peaks to emphasize height, but I'm not sure if that is entirely needed. On the second, I reduced the highlights on the right-most ranges because I figured the shadows cast by the larger mountains would reduce them.

prac_mountain11.jpgprac_mountain12.jpg

EDIT: Aaah, now I see what you guys actually mean, looking at the zoomed-out pictures. The original ranges are very uniform in placement left-right, while the newer ones vary in size and placement.

EDIT2: Another very quick practice of a different range before I add ridges and shading.

prac_mountain2.jpg
    Last edited by Azphreal; 04-10-2015 at 09:57 PM.