Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interactive web map

Default Interactive web map

Hello guild!
    For my work i do some interactive web maps on various subjects.The tools used to make such maps are pretty different than the traditional photoshoped map. For this one i mostly work with Leaflet, a javascript library, QGIS for the data, and photoshop to make the legend and icons.
    Even if it's also cartography, it's pretty different from what we usually see here : beautifull maps
    Here the purpose was to add interactivty to the map and give an easy access to the data.
    The map represents schools and kids transports (bus stop..) on the territory i work for. You can zoom , move your mouse on a zone to see info, click on menu to add or remove some layers and see the legend with another button.
    Here is a link to the map:
    http://www.valsdesaintonge-sig.org/Scolaire/
    It's really a different work to add aesthic into a map with css instead of photoshop, so if some of you are good in css and have ideas on how to improve the aesthetic of the map, i seak for advices

Blog Entries

That is a really great map and site. I do a bit of CSS but there's nothing I could say to improve what you have.

thanks Redrobes the basemap has been made with osm data by the mapbox team, i think the style name is 'pirate', it has an old fashioned style that reminds me maps from the guild

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks really good and is very well presented - I can't think of anything I would improve on when thinking css. It's light, and it works - 2 important things online
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

This is really appealing
    *rep*

Good map, and I think it is already very pleasant and user-friendly (I would love to do similar interactive maps for some of my rpg settings)... So I've no idea of "what" nor "how" it could be improved .

I like it Francissimo! I'm a huge fan of interactive maps. How do you use your own fantasy maps on Leaflet?

I have only a few criticism.
    1) The left menu bar is too transparent, hard to read on it.
    2) When you zoom in, and use the menu bar, you activate map actions (like hover effects). It's a kind of noisy effect.
    3) Maybe you can slow a little bit the transition effects to be less rude.

Thanks for the feedback and glad you like my interactive map style
    I'll try to take your advices in consideration Meriba, i'll try to slow a bit my transitions effects and see the results.
    And to add a fantasy map on leaflet you can use imageoverlay, a more detailed explanation here: http://kempe.net/blog/2014/06/14/lea...oom-image.html

Thanks for the info Francissimo.

Only a last comment:
    - If you use svg icons (vector images -Inkscape/Illustrator...), you're be able to avoid that noise around rasterized images.

Good advice meriba, i was a bit lazy with those icons and work with photoshop, but i'll try to do the next ones in svg with illustrator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast