Thread: French Newb' is coming

Default French Newb' is coming

Hi Everybody,

Let me introduce myself and the project I'm defending. And ... in advance, I'm so sorry for my light english written skill. French is a bit simpler for me.

I'm Filendreux, a poor French guy, seeking for new cartographer abilities. And I'm sure it's right place to be.

2 friends on mine are creating a game based in the RPG named "In nomine Satanis / Magna Veritas".

Demons and Angels fight in the shadow of a contemporain world in trying to bring souls in heaven or hell and win this souls war.
    Demons intend to corrupt, promote violence, do sexe, etc... The Evil
    Angels laud straight law, peace and harmony, etc... In one word the good.
    In the center, humans and their souls.

A French community is already delighfully trying to interprete their demon/angel roles. Of course, as on this cartographers guild forum, all the admin guys are controlling the policy and the tendancious aspects.
    Which is quite complicate when you're playing / acting as a demon. The respect is essential.

The game is 100% Net version ( no download). It's 100% Cash Free. No money at all. It's just a small game made by aficionados for friends and fans. And, unfortunately for most of you, it's 100% in French ( if you want to train youself a bit hahaha )

By the way, if you want to have a try don't hesitate to contact me. I'll give you the link.

So now Why I'm here.

The game is based on titlesets, grid and maps. So the idea for me is to "map" the game. And what a good spot here to learn and try to develop my creativity.

I hope, we could exchange positively on my future maps and thanks a lot for your precious experience.

Anyway, the graphical charte is strict but pretty simple.

Here 2 very simple extracts from the game’s view.

I voluntary take a simple example, the graphics are awful but readable to explain how it works.

The 1st pics is outside 6 Squares * 6 squares
    And the 2nd one is inside the same building. I reduced it to 6 squares * 5 squares. All around, ( as the view is blocked by walls, it’s what we could call … hum fog of war ). I add the character in the center just to show where things are placed on the grid. ( it could be your own character or other players, it doesn't matter)

In the game, your own character is centered in the middle of a 13 * 13 squares view and moves and evolves in the environment.

The perspective effects were too complicated to do properly and the view managment can’t handle a remap depending on the position of the titleset on the grid.

It’s a 100% Net based so the transfert between the Web server and the computer / Tablet or smartphone must be optimised. (Reminder : no titleset package to download)

To give you an image of the size of the environment, the biggest map is the main one. 150 squares * 150 squares
    But there are many other maps with smaller sizes.

Each square has 64 pixels * 64 pixels

The position of the walls, the roofs, the ground, doors, etc… are of course essential, because they are linked with the code and with the database containing all informations. (object /character position/ environmental special actions/etc… )

Here the convention :

Square equal to 3m * 3m

1 - The view is orthogonal with no perspective
    2 – The black contours represent generally walls and they define the buildings size or more widely the obstacles size. This contour thickness is 8 Pixels.

3 – For front walls, the height is ˝ quare so equal to 32 pixels, either inside or outside.
    Outside :
    Inside :

4 – Whatever the height of the building is, the front walls must stay in ˝ square ( top part of the square indeed). It’s a game limitation ( climbing will be possible soon )

5 - No Grid on the map.

As you could imagine the background of the town must be respected and all the graphic designs must be in line with the game’s world.

>>> date :
    It’s a contemporain world. So 1990 >> 2015 is a base for graphic’s design.

>>> Place :
    The action takes place in France. In the west part of France, In Britany precisely. Not too far from Merlin tomb (theorically ) for the Arthurian legend’s fan.
    We voluntary put 1990 because in some places there, the time seems to stop in the 20th century.

Environment :
    The First industry there is agriculture or agronomy. The temperate climat perfectly matchs with the environment. Fields, forest, farms, small village, cottage, human sized town…

Even if it’s not densely populated, it’s not a lost place. Hospital / Super market / cinema / …
    Our town is a medium city around 2 000 / 5 000 peoples.

And even if we want to create a mission with a huge skyscraper, we could propose a small map outside the main one.
    Links between are pretty simple to create.

We even created the Dream map… Yeah you’re able to go and reach dream’s land, Visiting arch ennemies dreams and fears.

We have a military lab’s where pretty ugly sciences are developped…

As soon as the graphical chart is respected… We don’t have that much restrictions or limitations.
    Excepted on the main map which is the Town / village place.

By now the graphism are much more closer to this:

Based on a typical 2D title set design.

The trees needs to be modified and plenty of other things.

Of course it's the first map we have for the moment.

I'll try a 26 * 12 squares for a cimetery in a few weeks.
    Even if it seems to be a huge task as a premiere...
    Anyway...

I hope that I haven't bored you too much with my story.

Cheers,

Filendreux.

Ps: Sorry for the multi posts. I was a bit obliged

Banned User

Hello Filendreux, welcome to the Guild!

Thanks Chick.

Welcome to the Guild Filendreux! That's a really interesting idea for an online game. You are definitely in the right place to help refine your map/tile making skills. I'd recommend searching the tutorial section for walk-throughs on how to create a battlemap (I know there are a few). Also, check out the Virtual Tabletop/Battlemap Mapping forum here for more inspiration. Wish you all the best in this project.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh