Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] - A Homegrown D&D Campaign World

Default [WIP] - A Homegrown D&D Campaign World

Something I've started working on for a homegrown D&D campaign. This is still in the very early stages. As of right now, the art style is coming along well, though I may still tinker with things. the forests aren't quite the way I'd like them to be yet, and I'm still exploring alternative styles for the cities, but I think it's looking fairly unique right now.

Anyone have an alternative idea for the forest style that might work better with the rest of the map?

Please note - This map is roughly 5% of the landmass that will make up the final map.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That is very cool and like you said, very unique. I agree that the forests don't look quite right - I think maybe it's that they look too top-down with the parallel lines in the interior.

The other thing you might reconsider is the yellow road-lines. (I'm assuming that's what those are.) Right now it's not too jarring, but once you have more done, the yellow road lines and blue river lines are going to get confusingly tangled. What about a more subtle dotted yellow line for the roads?

All in all, very nice style, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I agree on the trees. I'm going to try to bring them up off the page more and see how that looks.

Yeah the yellow lines are roads. I'm hoping to avoid having to do dotted lines for the road because its time consuming and generally a pain, but if it gets too busy I may not have a choice. I'll keep an eye on it. Let me know when I get more of the map finished if its starting to get too busy and I'll give the dotted lines a try.

Thanks for the comments. :-)
    Last edited by gspRooster; 10-25-2015 at 10:08 PM.

I like the incompleteness. If you blurred and pulled out some the edges it'd look a lot like you used watercolor paints on canvas which would look cool

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

I don't know what program you're using, but if it's photoshop or the Gimp, a dotted line is super easy to do - you just take any round brush and change the spacing. I'm at work and don't have access to PS here, and I can't remember the setting/technical name, but I'll check that tonight and let you know.

Of course if you're using Paint or something, yeah, you're screwed.

I'm drawing the entire thing by hand using Sketchbook Pro on a Wacom tablet.

Update, I like the way the forests are looking now. Debating on whether or not I can go with a copy/pasted icon for minor towns, and due to the map size, whether or not those towns need to be named on this map. I'd like to hand-draw individual icons for each major city and name those, but for smaller size towns it may just be enough to indicate that they exist?

Yep, I like those forests MUCH better; looks really good with the other elements now.

I think you're on the right track with keeping the minor towns simple, using the same icon and not naming them. Could get mighty crowded otherwise. I guess the only way you'll really know for sure is to experiment though.

This is the style of forest that I prefer and it fits actually better with the mountains. I will have left less space between the two so as to give an impression of continuity (see the tutorials of this site : fantasy-maps.com).
    Perhaps reduce the icon size to small cities and increase for larger ? Nice work so far. Bon courage !

Wow, those forests matched quite nicely!

Really liking this style and looking forward to this map! Keep it up!
    Drawing skills? What drawing skills?!

My Deviantart

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast