Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stained Glass Map Panels (commission)

Banned User

Default Stained Glass Map Panels (commission)

These maps were created to look like stained glass panels as a commission for author Vita Nakrosa. There will be more of them, and the idea is that when completed, the set will form a collection of the panels assembled to make a spherical stained glass globe of the world. Corners mark the major cities that form a lattice for the world.

These are the first two.

Leaded Glass Panel 2 - Cornelia Yoder.jpg Leaded Glass Panel 1 - Cornelia Yoder.jpg

I like this idea ! How many panels ? 20 to make an icosaedre ? I've planed to use 8 hexagon to build my world map (with 6 square to fill the gaps). Really nice style for the glass.

That's a really cool idea.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Banned User

My client hasn't told me for sure yet, but I'm assuming an icosahedron, 20 triangles.

Here are the 3D shapes I know of that can be made with only triangles: http://www.glprogramming.com/red/images/Image47.gif
    The first one is an icosahedron, I'm not sure of the names for the others, but I think they are too many faces for this purpose.

Very cool Chick. So it will be like a huge d20 world.
    That's a cool comm to get. Definitely show us the progress and that final result.
    Will it be lit inside?

Cool, so it's going to be a dymaxion projection: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_map
    Though I don't think a icosahedron made of glass would be a good idea but it's an interesting concept.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Cool, so it's going to be a dymaxion projection: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_map
    Though I don't think a icosahedron made of glass would be a good idea but it's an interesting concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Very cool Chick. So it will be like a huge d20 world.
    That's a cool comm to get. Definitely show us the progress and that final result.
    Will it be lit inside?
    I somehow doubt it will actually be realized in glass, although that would certainly be pretty cool! Probably more like the dymaxion idea, maybe just individual triangles and their connections specified by the corner cities. Anyway, it was a lot of fun to do these, I love pretty pastel and earthy colors

Very cool! I love the dymaxion projection and your "stained glass" render is just a win!

That's a really cool idea.

This is great looking, good work! I've done stained glass before a long while back, if its actual cut glass your river starting points should have lines off of them (you can't cut inside triangles and points). That won't apply if its supposed to represent a different method though. Excited to see this progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast