Thread: I need to decide on a typeface for my map.

Guild Novice

Help I need to decide on a typeface for my map.

The title says it all. I am trying to make the map look antique for my slightly steamounk-esque DnD game, but I need a typeface color. Before I add text, I need to know what would be best for the map. I don't want anything too conflicting with the style, but keeping that in contrast with the goal of wanting it to be legible is difficult. Here is the map:

1ZXwN0p.jpg

It is called 'Outlands', just in case you are curious. I am trying for simple styles, but the typeface can contrast that. Just no contemporary fonts, i.e. Futura.

Please include font name, size, and color in RBG format. Thank you, and may this be of use to all Cartographers!

Not sure why, but this map reminded more of a japanese style... if you toned down the water texture, making it quite more subtle it would lift the weigh of the map (imo) quite some.
    Drawing skills? What drawing skills?!

My Deviantart

Size and exact color are things that will need to be adjusted depending on the nature of the label, where it is placed, and other features that eventually go on the map. So I'll offer only general advice there.

The waves give the map a rigid, mechanical feel (I agrree with TK., by the way—reduce the opacity of the waves in order to make the continental shapes gain weight and importance), so a similarly mechanical-looking font would be appropriate. You mention steampunk, so something that calls to mind the days of automated printing presses, particularly letter presses, would be good. Maybe something like Copperplate Gothic, which has an old-world feel but still looks regimented.

Slab serif fonts might be good to consider, too. Rockwell is good example. These fonts tend to look like the newspapers from the late 1800s up through the 1930's to my eye.

Give it a little character by creating a grungy version of some of the labels and putting that down slightly offset from the main label and very light, as though there was a mis-strike in the printing equipment. A few smears, too, perhaps.

I think I'd make the labels just a little oversized, too. Maybe 8 - 10% larger than looks "right" in order to further sell the primitive state of layout and graphic design. Color should be dark, but not 100% black. Probably tinted slightly toward a yellow-brown. Red should be a little higher than Green, and Blue quite low. Again, the exact color will need to be mixed with the label actually on the image to get a good blend.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

Alright. Thank you very much for the advice. I am experimenting with Rockell at the moment, and seeing about turning down the wave opacity.