Thread: Nov/Dec 2015 Challenge: The Genial Descent Into Obscurity

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Default Nov/Dec 2015 Challenge: The Genial Descent Into Obscurity

So THIS arrived for me, via Universal Parcel Syndicate. Never on time, that should be their motto. Better late than never I suppose. 'Course they did say it had been waiting for me to pick up for a couple of weeks…

Archie , you dirty old ba my dear old friend, what a surprise!
    So it's true. you busted out of that cozy uranium mine on Kairos IV. And now your itchin to get back into the game, eh?
    I still have that map, indeed! And i'd love to sent you a copy. But you know best, it's not worth a xardachian lira without the map of that wrecked freighter you own. So, we can bury the hatchet if you're willing to send me a copy of it in return. Then, i can finally ... er ... do further research.
    If i remember correctly, the ship's airlock was hard to reach after Torpedo Tom "accidentally" blew up the nearby pipelines, leaving the whole damn hangar flooded. We got lost more than once in a Zynon ship, so make sure to point out the toxic incubation areas correctly! Also, the vent shafts' locations could be of some use to know. And, by all the bloody docydian deities, don't forget the cryo-chamber where the Guardian-Tryxiloids slumbered. I've no need to stumble into those guys ever again! Apropos nasty aliens: I hope you noted down where in this maze of a shipwreck those little furball-parasites made their new home?
    Let's have an absinthe sometime in that shabby old pub on Vaserya II!

Salazar
    And that is the amazing commission I received from Abu Lafia. Delightful! And to be absolutely clear, the whole "late" thing refers only to me being so slow to get started on this. I've never done a spaceship, so where to even begin? I tried a bunch of ideas and finally settled on a shape. I spent awhile mocking it up in SketchUp (far too long probably) and only just now realized that it bears a resemblance to some particular ships out there in the Outer Rim. Oh well. This one's a lot smaller. Map work beginning soon!

### LATEST WIP ###
    Genial-Descent.jpg

The name of the ship is an homage to the incredibly cool names the Minds give themselves in the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks.

cheers,
    Meshon

Banned User

Wow, this will be fun to watch!

Hey Meshon, the shape looks very cool! You did a great job with sketchup (even the ground is desert-themed). It took a while for me to understand the thread's title is the name of the ship ... i think i have to read Banks soon...
    Regarding the resemblance: I was too traumatized by the dialogues in the prequel trilogy, so i can't remember the ships anymore. But i'm glad its not 3 kilometers in diameter!
    Do you have an idea already how large it will be?
    Can't wait to see this unfold!
    Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Nice 3d work Meshon. Also, love the right up Abu!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Interesting design.

Well, I had made a start before I let the holidays take over, so I might as well post it since I see that there's still a little time. I added the lables for the areas; if I get a chance I'll try to add some details before this evening.

### Latest WIP ###
    The-Genial-Descent-Into-Obscurity.jpg

And Happy New Year everyone!

cheers,
    Meshon

Oops, Abu, I went with 100 meters. Here's an image you can use for the ship if you want.Genial-Descent.png

Well Salazar, I have to say, you held up your end of the bargain. Here's mine with a few helpful notes for your "research." You wouldn't be heading out on a job anytime soon?

### Latest WIP ###
    The-Genial-Descent-Into-Obscurity.jpg

cheers,
    Archie
    Last edited by Meshon; 01-03-2016 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Because "lastest" may be true, but it doesn't work the same as "latest"