Thread: Regional map of the new Campaign I'm running

Guild Novice

Wip Regional map of the new Campaign I'm running

Sorry if i didn't post this is the right place, new here. So formatting might not be great either.

I made this map yesterday, used air brush for the land and bumps/ clouds for the water. This is my first real map so I'm trying to make look semi decent. I still need to add a decent amount such as, Forests, cities and roads, maybe a swap area (but I feel like that would take to much reworking).

wolrdmap1.png

As of right now, I want to add my forests. Once that's done I can start defining kingdom/country lines. However, I have no idea what style to Make my trees. I don't want anything High def, more hand drawn realistic then cg (I'm open to Ideas). I have a good idea where I want them right now they may not fit what is depicted in RL but that's why its fantasy

wolrdmaptest.png

What do you guys think hwo should i draw my trees/ forests?

Guild Novice

Wip

Ok I made some changes and added in the forests. Along with fixing the border line that came from deleting my sketch of the coast.

wolrdmap1.png

I was able to make the trees by using a splatter brush and placing each tree so it was away form the other by a decent amount. I used darker colors first, then started making my way brighter as I over lapped. I tried not to place the same color next to each other to avoid looking like I just colored things in.

world builder.png

Once I was done with that i made an overlay layer and darkened each tree on the SE side and lightened every one on the NE side keeping in line with hills and mountains. This made it look more like trees and less like random paint marks.

world builder.png

I'm sure there was an easier way to do this but i didn't want it to look copy pasted. Now my next objective is to figure out my kingdoms, and maybe take another crack at those mountains since they now look like crap in comparison to the rest of the map. I also have to figure out how I'm doing my roads, and kingdom lines (if applicable) smh

Guild Novice

Okay made a few changes when I got home today ^_^ redid my mountains and used an air brush to distinguish (well to the best of my ability) , redid my rivers ( made them thicker), added map points and roadswolrdmap1.png

You're off to a nice start. I like how you've done the forests. They look really nice. Your shading on the land is very well done too. I feel your mountains could benefit from some lines, like you had in your earlier pics. It gives them a bit of definition.

I can't decide about the bump in the sea. It's relatively subtle but I think I'd like to see how it looks toned down a little more (have to admit I'm not overly fond of the bump effect, so my personal tastes bias me). You could perhaps increase the glow around the coastlines a smidge too.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Novice

Okay after your suggestions I changed a few things. I took off the Bumps ( I wasn't too happy with it either). I re lightened the coast and expanding layers of depth since I no longer have the Bump maps.

world builder.png

However as far as the mountains I tried to re add the line sketches and it looked terrible as the previous ones did. I do agree that the middle and southern mountain lines are not good looking. The north and east as well as the small island on the western coast IMO look very good. Mostly due to my inability to do them in the first place so I don't quite understand the lighting that would come on top down drawing.

Guild Novice

Okay taking a break form the world map i wanted to do some area mapping for the campaign. I wanted to make it look like something the players would either make them self's, or buy off a merchant. so i started hand drawing the starting area
    Bp2PUzj.jpg