Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feb / Mar 2016 Lite Challenge: Trans-Polar Railways Run

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected joaodafi's Avatar

Default Feb / Mar 2016 Lite Challenge: Trans-Polar Railways Run

First of all, this is my first serious attempt at a challenge, so do not expect a masterpiece, but I intend to do my best.

Well ... When I saw this challenge, I was very excited, but had no idea what to do. Inspiration order started to read everything I found on railways, the principles of this technology through the history of the railroads during the nineteenth century and twentieth centuries. Finally I had an idea long while reading about the construction of the Trans-Siberian railway.

My idea for the show was "A railroad (which is the fastest and safest way to transpote in this period of history) built by a state in the old continent, to facilitate access to their colonies in the new continent, the only possible way is through the north pole, which is a strip of land almost uninhabitable, and disputed by neighboring countries."

Here is the sketch.
    Trans-Polar.jpg

Red lines are Mountains ranges.
    Sorry any grammatical error, I'm better with Portuguese than English.

Quote Originally Posted by joaodafi View Post
    First of all, this is my first serious attempt at a challenge, so do not expect a masterpiece, but I intend to do my best.

Well ... When I saw this challenge, I was very excited, but had no idea what to do. Inspiration order started to read everything I found on railways, the principles of this technology through the history of the railroads during the nineteenth century and twentieth centuries. Finally I had an idea long while reading about the construction of the Trans-Siberian railway.
    Research... my bane. I just don't have the heart for it, and it's likely one of the reasons why I only have one silver compass to my name. You're starting your first challenge off with the right heart, and that will take you far. I look forward to watching you progress!

-IG

### Latest WIP ###
    Trans-Polar 0.1.jpg

Basically just add details to coast and islands.
    Now I will draw the rivers and think how can I represent the mountains, I'm not really sure how to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    You're starting your first challenge off with the right heart, and that will take you far.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    I look forward to watching you progress!
    Thank you and ,please, your feedback on the map and very welcome.

Welcome to the challenge! Keep up the good work!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Certainly a good idea. I'll be interested to see where you go next with this and how your your rail system fits in with the mountains and the harsh conditions there!

Welcome to the challenge, joaodafi. Interested to see you develop your ideas.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Looks like a good idea!

I like the idea. You'll get an unusual projection for the map too which will be interesting. Do you use Fractal Terrains? Sounds like it would be perfect for something like this.

Default Update.

Hello everybody, to make sure, I wanted to update the current state map every two days at least, but already a week ago that I'm suffering from very strong Sinusitis, I not get sick was already about six years, and with Brazil being hit by dengue and zika, my situation has only worsened.
    Basically the map this stopped because I am very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Welcome to the challenge! Keep up the good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Welcome to the challenge, joaodafi. Interested to see you develop your ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Looks like a good idea!
    Thank you all for your kind words and for monitoring the development of that map.

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Certainly a good idea. I'll be interested to see where you go next with this and how your your rail system fits in with the mountains and the harsh conditions there!
    Thank you and I'm also interested to see how it will look, because I still have no clear idea of what will be the finished map.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I like the idea. You'll get an unusual projection for the map too which will be interesting. Do you use Fractal Terrains? Sounds like it would be perfect for something like this.
    Yes, the projection is the most interesting factor in this map, at least for me. And no, I'm not using Fractal Terrains, honestly, i do not even know the software.

the next map update will be in 4 days.
    Thank you for your patience - João Miguel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast