Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: February 2016 Challenge: The Halls of Undermountain

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Default February 2016 Challenge: The Halls of Undermountain

Hello everyone.

My entry for the February 2016 Challenge is going to be part of the dungeon of Undermountain from the Forgotten Realms setting. There are numerous short stories written about Halaster Blackcloak, the mad mage who created most of it. The book Elminster in Hell even deals with Halaster and his craziness as the goddess of magic tries to convince Halaster that she will cure his illness if he rescues Elminster from Hell.

Anyway, the dungeon of Undermountain was first created by Halaster Blackcloak to test his apprentices and see if they could find him. It is an incredibly dangerous and deep dungeon that has at least 23 known levels to it and possibly more.

The beauty of Undermountain is that it is constantly changing; a feature Halaster made so that no one could memorize the dungeon and keep going back up to the surface to resupply. They had to use whatever they had with them and if they ran out, then they had to find their way back up. If they didn't they could starve or be attacked by all kinds of crazy monsters or minions of Halaster.

So I'm going to try to re-create a part of Undermountain by doing an Isometric dungeon .

This is how far I have gotten today.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tonnichiwa; 02-20-2016 at 06:02 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Really liking what you've got so far Tonnichiwa. I think the beautiful hand-drawn style you've got going will work a charm. I just hope that you finish it on time, but I'm sure you will!

Are you doing this in CC3? I really like these clean isometric elements. 1 week, go!

@GLS: Thanks, but I would never claim someone else's artwork as my own. That is a style of mapping created by Herwin Weilink for Campaign Cartographer 3. It has a really clean isometric look to it when done.

@Troedel: Thanks, and, yup, it is how I make all of my maps. I couldn't draw to save my life, but I can paint 3 dimensional miniature toy soldiers fairly proficiently. And I have learned a few tricks with cc3 and cc3+ to start making halfway decent maps.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Nonetheless, it's still a nice style that I'm sure will compliment your end map.

Nice start, Tonnichiwa. Looking forward to seeing where you go with this. Clock's ticking!!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks GLS, And thanks Chick Pea, I appreciate the encouragement.

I tried CC3 but found it pretty unresponsive, especially with map effects turned on. The need to "redraw" maps to see some changes freaked me out and often times interupted me from a technical side. But I admit some very nice maps can be done with it. Cities come to my mind and with that Clercon. But I think even he postprocessed in PS.

That's interesting, I've always wondered what everyone else thought of cc3. To be honest cc3, while being a great program in my eyes, has limits as it tends to crash a lot if you try to manipulate your picture too fast. But the company realized there were problems and created cc3+. That program has been absolutely fantastic! If you come to cc3 or cc3+ from using something like Photoshop I hear that it can be rough because there are so many differences, but since it is what I started with it seems pretty natural to me now, where Gimp is kind of hard to learn.

There are so many things I still have to learn about the programs that I feel like a beginner.

I got into the whole mapping thing from the Profantasy suite many years ago but found it wasn't intuitive for me. I still use Fractal Terrains from time to time (which I love). That's a great start to the map, Tonni - I hope you have time to finish it. Love the hand drawn look and the crisp detail. The texture repeat on the background is showing a bit, but I'm guessing that won't be a problem when you have completed the map.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast