Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March 2016 Challenge : The Underdark

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Default March 2016 Challenge : The Underdark

Hello everyone,

For this months challenge I will be doing a type of dungeon that was made popular way back in 1st edition dungeons and dragons. This is the kind of dungeon that resembled overland travel but it was all underground and was considered a dungeon by the writers at TSR. Some of their most famous modules that showcased these kind of dungeons were D1 and D2- Descent Into the Depths of the Earth, and Shrine of the Kuo-Toa, and also D3 Vault of the Drow.

I have done a very rough sketch of what I am going to try to do but I can't say it is a good sketch. I'm a terrible artist.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, after staying up all night I've come up with this. I still have a lot to go but at least it's coming along. Goodnight everyone. I'm gonna go get some sleep!

### Latest WIP ###

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Cool start Tonnichiwa. You're entering all the challenges at the moment, which is good on you!

I might try going for this one once the Lite is done with, we'll see. But either way, looking forwards to where you take this one and it's interesting to see the map starting from the dark background, rather than it being added later.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Looks cool, it's a nice style! Looking forward to more progress

Good start! I would just make that volcano a bit less "flat" (or it's just me, I gave ma this impression).

Thanks guys. That volcano is actually supposed to be half covered with hardened lava as the lava spewed up into the air, but hit the cave ceiling and came back down, then created the lava lake it is sitting in the middle of. But I have to admit, I am not really liking the way this turned out at all really. I have actually run into a weird problem with my software. I am trying to use the sketch feature to add more to the drawing but unfortunately every time I try to make the new drawing into a PNG or a JPG, the rest of the artwork turns out fine, but anything I have drawn using the sketch command turns out much lighter and barely noticeable on the completed PNG or JPG file. It is really annoying because it is making it very hard to complete this piece.

I'll see if I can get it to work better somehow but if I can't I may have to start completely over with something else.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your software. I hope you get it sorted because it would be great to see where you take this!

Ok, I may have been able to work something out but I still can't get the sketch command to work. Anyway, this is the Duergar (evil underground dwarfs) siege of the massive Gnome city of Blingdenstone. This is what it would look like if you had infravision from the first edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game and you were somehow looking down on it. I also realized I put one too many zero's in the scale last time so now it's fixed.

I was origionally going to do a drow city and try to draw it myself but that didn't work out so I changed it to the gnome city instead. Anyway, this is as far as I've gotten. I hope you like it.

### Latest WIP ###

Well, I think I am going to back out of this challenge. I can't get any of the features of my program to work the way I would like to get this to be better so I think it's just best if I stop now. Maybe I'll try next month's challenge.

It's always annoying when computers don't do what you want them to. I hope you manage to get to grips with the software for next time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast