Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our 3rd ban ever, a few words on respect, and the last word on voting criteria

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Our 3rd ban ever, a few words on respect, and the last word on voting criteria

Last night, after many attempts at reconciliation and resolution, I had to permanently ban Chick, a regular contributor and prominent member of the community. I want you all to know that this decision was not based on any single action committed near the time of the ban, nor was it made without careful discussion and consideration by all of the active community leaders.

The reason for the ban will not be apparent to most of you because the bulk of the offences occurred in private messages and emails, not public discussions. There were some underlying issues that she was unable to let go of, and these issues often arose in private dealings with community leaders and possibly other members. She's been in the thick of every situation and argument that has been made public since her arrival.

In light of the recent goings-on, I want to take this opportunity to remind the community of our core values and to get us back to our culture of respect and maturity. The infrequency of drama here is unprecedented in sites of this size, and I do not want to see it dissolved into squabbling and petty vendettas. I expect my community leaders to be treated with respect for the time they donate to keep this community running smoothly. I expect members to treat each other with respect. Criticism should be constructive and should be received in the spirit in which it's given. Always assume positive intent. Keep in mind this community is international and the language used is not always native to the speaker, therefore it's not always possible for tone to be accurately inferred. With all that lieth in you, live peaceably with all members.

I also want to put an end to one point of contention. There's been some discussion of instituting voting criteria for our mapping challenges. The arguments have been heard and considered, but I'm saying now for everyone to see, the Cartographers Guild will never dictate voting criteria to its members. That fosters an elitism that has no place here. You don't have to justify to me or anyone else why you vote the way you vote. We don't require that anyone has a certain level of ability or agree with another member's narrow taste in art or style. If you want to see a mapping challenge that plays to your strengths, by all means offer a suggestion in the appropriate forum and if people are interested we'll do it. But I'm not going to tell anyone how they should vote and I'm truly puzzled that I even need to explain this.

Moving forward, I want to encourage anyone who has any concerns regarding this ban or the policies and behavior expectations for this site to contact me directly via private message or use the Contact Us link which will be sent directly to my email.
    Fantaseum (https://www.fantaseum.com)

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Also...I want to add, that while I may not be visibly posting much...I am checking the site daily due to the recent server move and the hiccups. So your feedback WILL be received and read personally by me. I'm not taking this lightly...I WANT to hear what you have to say.
    Fantaseum (https://www.fantaseum.com)

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected darcycardinal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's too bad, shame people can't stick to the rules or keep open mind.

Darcy

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

I have to say though I've only been here a short while, I will definitely notice Chick's absence and it is a shame that she violated the code of conduct for the site.
    Last edited by Greg; 03-21-2016 at 08:56 PM.

Sad news...

Having been one of the people that got attacked, both publicly and in PMs, that lead to the second person who got banned, I have to say, it's not worth it being like that with anyone.

I really enjoy this forum. I love posting here. I make a good amount of money making maps professionally for books and companies. But everything here is for fun. A person could win challenge after challenge, and honestly I can't see it making a difference if your trying to do what I do. None of my clients would care that I won an award on an internet forum that is mainly inhabited by hobbyist.

That's not a put down, if it comes across as one, please know I respect hobbyist. Just because you don't do something for money, doesn't mean the quality is sub par. There are amazing artists on this board, who I find give me inspiration all the time in directions to take my maps.

The person who attacked me, did so because he was frustrated that he wasn't getting more attention. On top of that, he wanted to do exactly what I do. Make money drawing maps. It took me several years to get steady work making maps. It's not the only kind of illustration work I do either. It's just part.

Now he's lost a place that is probably the largest source for inspiration, idea's, feedback, and resources. Poof.

Don't poof yourself.

I think she had good reasons tbh. Did people use her work?

Also, is it a permaban?
    Bruh, I have 6 email accounts, it's so easy to infiltrate.....

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    The reason for the ban will not be apparent to most of you because the bulk of the offences occurred in private messages and emails, not public discussions. There were some underlying issues that she was unable to let go of, and these issues often arose in private dealings with community leaders and possibly other members. .
    Well on occasions I have exchanged PMs with Chick mostly concerning technical details of handdrawing in her work.
    She always appeared honest, constructive and exceptionally able to learn. Her contributions to the site and especially her help and greetings to new members are probably second to none.
    So I must say that it is for the first time in my Internet life that I see somebody banned from a site because of his opinions especially if they were expressed in PMs and violated no rules.
    When the admin himself admits that no member would understand the reasons of the ban, excepted that he felt "offended" by some vague "underlying issues expressed in private discussions", then there must be something rotten somewhere.

I feel very uncomfortable about such arbitrary decisions. I don't know if it is a bannable offense to say how one feels but I had to say it.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

@Applejack: Yes, it is a permanent ban.

@Deadshade: It is nowhere near a bannable offense to say how one feels. I'm sorry that this feels arbitrary to you; I can assure you that it wasn't. We're not going to litigate this on a public thread however, both to avoid unnecessary drama and to respect Chick's privacy. I strongly suggest that you take Robbie up on his offer to speak to you privately about your concerns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast