Thread: Looking for software to create detailed historical maps

Default Looking for software to create detailed historical maps

I am a history buff who is interested in making good historical maps that incorporate lots of historical information, such as topography, major physical features, major cities and towns, names of provinces and other territorial divisions, locations of significant temples, find-spots of important epigraphic records, etc. I am especially interested in Indian history. For an example of the types of maps that I am interesting in making, see the maps in the online atlas below:

http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/schwartzberg/

My question is, do you guys know of any software that would enable me to draw maps like this? I am an amateur when it comes to using computer software, and so far all of my "maps" have been drawn by copy-pasting map templates onto Paint or Photoshop, and then modifying them. For example, I would copy a blank map of India onto MS Paint or Adobe PS, and then add various elements to it, but this is very limiting. I also use a free online site called ScribbleMaps (which is based on Google Maps), but that site is better suited for making modern maps than engaging historical ones, and the interface is also very limiting.

Hopefully, some of you might be able to help me. This forum looks like it is home to a very thriving and passionate community.

Blog Entries

have a look at Qgis
    http://www.qgis.org/en/site/
    it is under the GPL license - opensource

or
    the very very VERY expensive ArcGis
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---