Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thetania

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Wip Thetania

My current personal project. I'm working on this map now on and off for over four months. While I like it I think it needs a bit more to make it really good.
    I was thinking of some illustrations. Or coat of arms.
    Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Question

Hey Sapiento,
    Congrats! That's a really cool map with great ideas (red/white towers, red lake, individual names)!
    How did you make those plateaus right to the red lake?
    There's only one thing i'm missing. There are no cliffs hanging over or mountains running into the sea. All the coastlines are flat.
    Cheers Oliver
    Last edited by Oliver Braun; 06-25-2016 at 07:12 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected joaodafi's Avatar

first of all, I loved this map, it's all beautiful and much better than any map I have ever made. I would love to see the process of creation.
    I think some illustrations could give more life to the map, something like the drawing of a camel caravan in the desert, or some horses in the grasslands and some ships at sea to represent maritime routes.
    Also the to add a fantasy aspect, putting a dragon flying or resting on the peak of a mountain or near the volcanoes in the south. And of course, always in for a few classic "Monsters of the Sea".
    On the coat of arms, I think it would be interesting to put a flag or a war banner on the largest cities ... it's just an idea.

alias, the icons of cities and towns are really cool, but especias structures such as the White Tower in the north and the black in the south and the red cathedral / fortress / citadel, are incredible.
    Sorry any grammatical error, I'm better with Portuguese than English.

The background gradient, mountains, water, forest coloring and the hand drawn ground elements all look awesome, really awesome, but the icons seems to stick out as too flat and just placed, maybe illustrate some major towns and just have the smaller ones as icons or dots? Just a thought, I'll be reaping this one, nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Braun View Post
    Hey Sapieto,
    how did you make those plateaus right to the red lake?
    Cheers Oliver
    I drew them by hand, if that's it what you'd like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by joaodafi View Post
    first of all, I loved this map, it's all beautiful and much better than any map I have ever made. I would love to see the process of creation.
    I think some illustrations could give more life to the map, something like the drawing of a camel caravan in the desert, or some horses in the grasslands and some ships at sea to represent maritime routes.
    Also the to add a fantasy aspect, putting a dragon flying or resting on the peak of a mountain or near the volcanoes in the south. And of course, always in for a few classic "Monsters of the Sea".
    On the coat of arms, I think it would be interesting to put a flag or a war banner on the largest cities ... it's just an idea.

alias, the icons of cities and towns are really cool, but especias structures such as the White Tower in the north and the black in the south and the red cathedral / fortress / citadel, are incredible.
    Thank you, good ideas.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Cool concepts, and a great variety of really beautiful symbols already at play here. I also seem to notice a change in the way you've shaded/lit your forests compared to some other of your colored maps (which are great, just so you know, but I like this one better). Maybe some ground shading with a grungy brush for the tundra region, and a few canyons and cliffs to spice things up? I'm also echoing some of joaodafi's recommendations; a caravan sure would be a nice touch, or at least an oasis or two. I can see the shading and lighting you did on the ground around the locations; maybe they'd blend better if you expanded just a tiny bit on that?

Other than that? Farmlands, maybe? Not many maps out there show these, and I suppose they'd be a nice touch, at least to show the "breadbasket" regions. How about a past battlefield as a location? Flags and coats of arms also certainly would work; I paired them for my Carcerem map.

Wip

I followed some advice and made two illustrations. I also worked a bit on the land.

Wip

Two more illustrations.

I love the crystal ball and the tree! And the rest of the map, of course .

Close to finished. Any ideas for improvement?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast