Thread: Ejland

Default Ejland

Hello!
    This time I'm making a regional map of the region Ejland, part of Osthem. All part of a Swedish tabletop rpg, so names and locations are not made up by me, I'm just making my own version of it.

This is also a bit of a study, I tried to understand how local Grandmaster Cartographer Max makes his maps, so I looked a lot at a few of his while making this one.
    I'm getting fairly blind at this stage so I would like some help, do you see anything obviously bad I need to fix?

Thanks everyone!

It's looking great so far. Will you be colouring it?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Fantastic work Dysterkvist, nothing bad to see here!
    A minor nitpick would be the little scribbles (waves?) in the north-eastern corner. It's not really clear what it is (not a big deal in my view, makes for some variety. ; ), but there's an exact copy of it next to it. The other elements on the map (besides the city icons) look all unique, so you could take out at least one of these wavy scribbles . Another minor aesthetic tweak could be the icon for the cloister in my view. It falls a bit "out of the box" compared to the other icons. Well as you can see, i really have to dig deep to find something that isn't praise XD Keep up the great work!

Edit: I just saw, the vertical "compas-line" going down to the bottom of the map crosses the frame, not sure if that was intentional
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 07-05-2016 at 08:58 AM.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

You're really pumping out maps, awesome. This is another great one. Really looking forward to see many more of your maps.

EDIT: Can't rep you

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Three different type of maps produced in about a week and what production ! You, mister, are impressive !

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    It's looking great so far. Will you be colouring it?
    Thanks! I don't think I will be coloring it right away, I might go back and do so later though.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Fantastic work Dysterkvist, nothing bad to see here!
    A minor nitpick would be the little scribbles (waves?) in the north-eastern corner. It's not really clear what it is (not a big deal in my view, makes for some variety. ; ), but there's an exact copy of it next to it. The other elements on the map (besides the city icons) look all unique, so you could take out at least one of these wavy scribbles . Another minor aesthetic tweak could be the icon for the cloister in my view. It falls a bit "out of the box" compared to the other icons. Well as you can see, i really have to dig deep to find something that isn't praise XD Keep up the great work!

Edit: I just saw, the vertical "compas-line" going down to the bottom of the map crosses the frame, not sure if that was intentional
    Aha! The squiggly lines in the ocean are just a mistake, I had to copy paste some of the forest squiggles and I didn't notice those! And the compass-line is another one of those "stared at it too long" mistake. Thanks!

I will also remake the cloister icon, I just made the first thing that came to mind as I worked but I'm not very happy with it either.
    Thanks for the great feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    You're really pumping out maps, awesome. This is another great one. Really looking forward to see many more of your maps.

EDIT: Can't rep you
    I'm a bit surprised myself, I'm having a lot of fun learning this, so no stop in sight so far. Thanks for the nice comment!

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Three different type of maps produced in about a week and what production ! You, mister, are impressive !
    I get bored easily so I have to try different things. Thank you!

*Edit:
    I made a few tiny tweaks yesterday after you guys noticed some small mistakes but I forgot to post it, so here is a sneak-edit with the fixes.

I read up some and the local religion in this area usually uses an iron ring or a staff with rings in both ends as a symbol. So I'm trying out this one half of a ringed staff as an icon for the cloisters. I'm not sure what I think, but I think it's at least not worse.

Last edited by Dysterkvist; 07-06-2016 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Sneak-edit