Thread: WIP - Unnamed continental map for my upcoming D&D campaign

Wip WIP - Unnamed continental map for my upcoming D&D campaign

Hello fellow mapmakers.

As stated in the title, this is a map i've been working on for quite a while for my upcoming D&D campaign. This map is probably as unfinished as a map can be. If you're interested, you'll see a variety of different stages of my mapmaking process.
    I do not consider myself a great artist and i certainly can't pretend to have time effective method. I'm still very much in the process of learning with this map.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...uell%C3%B6.jpg
    Karte aktuellö.jpg
    (click the dropbox link for a better quality picture, due to maximum upload size here)

I'd be very happy about any kind of critique, be it positive or negative.

I'd also like to share two smaller parts of this map, which i would consider to be more like i want for the finished product, but obiously not there yet.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0Halflings.jpg
    Home of the Halflings.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...l%20Region.jpg
    Central Region.jpg

Thanks in advance and big thanks for all the contributions in this forum, this is where i picked up a lot of fantastic advice, so my maps don't look aweful any longer.

TigerKarl

Hi Tiger Karl, and welcome to the Guild! I really like what you have so far. The shading of the mountains and the forest looks pretty good imo. One thing i want to mention is, that some of the mountain linework looks a bit weird. I'll follow to describe it in german because i'm not sure about the right english terminology...(i hope you are german too to understand me, i only saw the title of your map file )
    Die jeweiligen äußeren Flanken einiger Berge sind nicht auf der selben Höhe. Dadurch wirkt es z.T. so, als ob die Berge auf völlig unebenem Terrain stehen würden. Besonders die Bergkette entlang der großen Bucht im Norden wirkt so, als ob das Land selbst (inklusive des Meeres!) stark gewölbt wäre.
    So, ich hab mal eben eine kleine Skizze angefertigt, um das besser zu veranschaulichen.
    Berge Beispiel.jpg
    1. Das meine ich mit gleiche horizontale Höhe der äußeren Flanken der Berge.
    2. So sehen die Berge aus, als würden sie "in der Luft hängen"
    3. Auch wenn du eine "isometrische" Perspektive für deine Berge haben willst, sollten die äußersten Flanken auf gleicher Höhe enden.

So ich hoffe das war ein wenig hilfreich. Sieh es bitte nicht als "vernichtende" Kritik, ganz im Gegenteil finde ich deine bisherige Arbeit sehr gut, und denke durch diese Tips könnte sie noch besser werden.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the red city labels with black outlines are a bit hard to read. For the labelling in general, i recommend to take a look at Eduard Imhof's paper on "Positioning Names on Maps".

Cheers,
    AL
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 07-16-2016 at 08:24 AM.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter