Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sketchbook

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Default Sketchbook

Hi, just getting started with map making and am going to post some tests and practice sketches. I've used photoshop for years, but I'm interested in doing more work with pen and watercolour for a change.

Comments and crits are welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Even though most of them are simple line sketches, I feel like a lot of those elements are full of character. I like it.

Your perspective work is really nice. I can see why you'll like Mike Schley. I look forward to seeing a lot of your maps!

Good job for jumping right in and posting some map stuff. You'll have some rep from me, those look very nice!
    Excellent work on that perspective stuff, can't wait to see some maps from you.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Thanks for the kind comments, really appreciated. I'm missing the pressure sensitivity/varying line widths from my wacom tablet, the results from a single fine line pen are a bit boring. I'm going to have to dig out some different pens to get more interesting line weights.

Attached a quick map (about an hours work) from last night. After I finished I realised I didn't leave any room for text though! Obviously for working with pen the text areas need to be defined first, but when working digitally do people set out the text first and draw around it, or erase areas of the drawn map to fit it in after?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's looking very good, I'd say .

i love my Sketchbook. i can see there the good work and also my failures. your book looks gread! keep on working it is worth it.

I'm new to map drawing and I will say that your sketches of trees and hills are considerably educational for me. From your sketchbook it helps me see how to draw single and cluster objects like trees and hills. So it helps me practice more and more. Thanks again!

I have been doing studies of water color on vellum. So far its not bad but I need to make a few improvements. If I get a new scanner Ill try to post a few of them. Looks goos so far though
    OK so this is the project I was talking about. This is the finished map and I have a few studies I had done with water colors before this. This map is water color on vellum it took about three days to complete.

Tower Rock map.jpg
    Last edited by Raven Moon; 09-20-2016 at 11:16 AM. Reason: added photo and text

hi i just have one idea for you. your tree trunks look not bound to the ground. so the trunks looks for me like a wall. my be some shadows on the ground, so it looks more natural. Just an idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast