Thread: World in progress

Default World in progress

Hi there!

my english is a little piece of crap, excuses for my misspells
    I'm a novice writer who's world building for fantasy novel. One of the things I'm working on is the world map and, nowadays, I’ll have a few questions:

1. I created two maps form the same base ¿witch one is the most beliable?

For the map idea I took a picture of and hypothetical terraformation of Venus, and modified a little bit (with paint, don't blame me:c).

original one:

editable.jpg

First idea:

first.png

Second one:

WIP MAPA.png

¿Wich one looks better?, and ¿Wich one looks more beliable?

2. The "Underdark"

One of the strongest general concepts of my novel is the Abyss. The Abyss is an continent-sieze subterranean, with her own ecosistem, dangers, etc. The basic concept is something like the Underdark of forgotten Realms (At least the three levels: Level 1, the less deep, less danger - Level 2, the middle deep and the middle danger - Level three, the deppest and dangerous). I want to do a map of the Abys, something like the next picture, but don't even know how to start:
    underdark.png
    (From: http://prints.mikeschley.com/)

I'll have a loot more of questions about the cartography of the map (Topografy, climate, political borders etc) but I don't want to overextend the post. Btw, i'm want to use CC3 to build the map with this mapping style

Thanks very much!

Hello again LazarusKelevra

I see that you have been very busy. I am not an expert on maps, so please do not make your choice on my preference, but I prefer the map you call "second one"

You have chosen one of the most elegant CC3 styles to draw your map with. I would be glad to answer any general questions you may have about how to do things, and I am sure that there are also people here on this forum who can help you with anything more complicated.

What language is your native language? You may find that there are people here who can help you, if you find you are having a really bad time trying to understand something that has been written in English.

Happy mapping
    Last edited by Mouse; 08-27-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Personally I like the first idea the best (for clarity, the middle map you have there).

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hello again LazarusKelevra

I see that you have been very busy. I am not an expert on maps, so please do not make your choice on my preference, but I prefer the map you call "second one"

You have chosen one of the most elegant CC3 styles to draw your map with. I would be glad to answer any general questions you may have about how to do things, and I am sure that there are also people here on this forum who can help you with anything more complicated.

What language is your native language? You may find that there are people here who can help you, if you find you are having a really bad time trying to understand something that has been written in English.

Happy mapping
    Hi,

on the one hand, my native lenguaje is Spanish, but i don't really have any problem to understand english, the problem is when i need to write or speak. On the other hand, I have a question that you maybe can respond, How I can get Derust overland Style? i didn't manage to find it.

Blog Entries

the "original " looks best , unless you do not want SO MANY lakes
    from the amount of lakes i would guess that this would be a MOSTLY jungle and wetlands planet

the second and third do not map around a sphere
    the north and south poles do not map correctly
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by LazarusKelevra View Post
    How I can get Derust overland Style? i didn't manage to find it.
    The style is found in Profantasy's "Cartographer's Annual, Volume 7" 2013, and is available from the same page that you provided the link to in your first post. The annuals are add-ons to CC3. That is to say that they are additional to the main piece of software, but they are bursting at the seems with hundreds of different styles, and well worth the cost

Make sure that you have registered CC3/CC3+ on the Profantasy page and created your account there before you buy an annual, so that the annual can be added to your list of purchased software, and will appear in your downloads page for you to collect.

While you are on Profantasy's page, you might like to have a quick look at the forum there, where a search can often provide all the information you will need if you get a bit stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    The style is found in Profantasy's "Cartographer's Annual, Volume 7" 2013, and is available from the same page that you provided the link to in your first post. The annuals are add-ons to CC3. That is to say that they are additional to the main piece of software, but they are bursting at the seems with hundreds of different styles, and well worth the cost

Make sure that you have registered CC3/CC3+ on the Profantasy page and created your account there before you buy an annual, so that the annual can be added to your list of purchased software, and will appear in your downloads page for you to collect.

While you are on Profantasy's page, you might like to have a quick look at the forum there, where a search can often provide all the information you will need if you get a bit stuck.
    Thx!

the "original " looks best , unless you do not want SO MANY lakes
    from the amount of lakes i would guess that this would be a MOSTLY jungle and wetlands planet

the second and third do not map around a sphere
    the north and south poles do not map correctly
    As you say, original has to many lakes it looks... too dirty for me. About the poles, it will be cool to fix it but, as I say, I’m amateur in the cartography. In the other hand, the main plot come about in the continent.

Quote Originally Posted by LazarusKelevra View Post
    As you say, original has to many lakes it looks... too dirty for me. About the poles, it will be cool to fix it but, as I say, I’m amateur in the cartography. In the other hand, the main plot come about in the continent.
    If you are going to re-draw the entire world in CC3, it may be best to stick to a map that really does map to a sphere, like johnvanvliet says. The lakes can easily be 'disappeared' as you draw the landmasses. You simply 'forget' to add them

You could transfer the polar data from the correct map to one of the others if you wanted to use one of them instead - create a hybrid map from the original and one of the other two?