Thread: The Lands of Erthmyr

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Map The Lands of Erthmyr

A while ago, I started testing out a few bits and pieces for a commission and though I didn't get anywhere with it. However, I still thought I'd use the work I had done, so yesterday I mixed bits and pieces around, added some bits, took away some bits and ended up with this little map.

It's only small, but it certainly made me realise how quickly I could throw something together that looked semi-decent, or at least I hope so.

Erthmyr Test2.jpg

**Looking back through my finished maps, I decided to revisit this and update it with a new B&W version.**

Erthmyr Redone.jpg

Any feedback is welcome, but as I said, it ended up just being a little quick mapping exercise more than anything else.
    Last edited by Greg; 05-08-2020 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Attached redone version

I like it. It is very simplistic, but that's actually nice to see from time to time. I also like the colors you used. The labels a not all very legible especially 'Mistwistle'. Perhaps it would help if you moved it up a little so that it's largely over the land. otherwise a great map!

-Dan

A nice little piece there, perhaps a tad bit dark for my taste but nonetheless very good.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

A nice quick map indeed Gregory. As far as constructive criticism, the map feels a bit too dark and too lacking in contrast to me. I think were the colors of the land to be a few shades lighter this would have helped. The labels are also a bit difficult to read. As dark as the map is, I think going for a lighter hue for the labels would have been a better choice. Likewise I think the title would have looked better had it been a lighter hue (one of the lighter colors in your border for example), possibly with a darker stroke along the edges. That said, it's a nice map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    I like it. It is very simplistic, but that's actually nice to see from time to time. I also like the colors you used. The labels a not all very legible especially 'Mistwistle'. Perhaps it would help if you moved it up a little so that it's largely over the land. otherwise a great map!
    Thanks for the feedback, Dan. I wanted to keep it quick and simple so I;m pleased you liked it. I wasn't too sure about the text, I tried to get them mostly over the land, but equally not cross the sea borders in places that it made it harder to read. The fact that it's actually 'Mistwisle' definitely proves I need to improve these.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    A nice little piece there, perhaps a tad bit dark for my taste but nonetheless very good.
    Thanks, Josiah. It was a speedy piece, so I'm pleased it came out well. Truly I hadn't noticed quite how dark in was until I looked at it on my phone, as on my laptop screen (not the best I know) it looked alright and maybe just a tad dark. All good lessons for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    As far as constructive criticism, the map feels a bit too dark and too lacking in contrast to me. I think were the colors of the land to be a few shades lighter this would have helped. The labels are also a bit difficult to read [...] I think the title would have looked better had it been a lighter hue (one of the lighter colors in your border for example), possibly with a darker stroke along the edges. That said, it's a nice map.
    Thanks to you too arsheesh. I agree with all you've said there I think and the lighter title edge would have fitted the colour scheme of the rest of the piece too. That's the trouble when just trying to get a piece done, it's so often easy to overlook the little details, so having all these pointers in my head to start with should really help.

Not much to add beyond what others have said. I rather like the dark colours, though I think the title could have done with a boost. There's a pleasing simplicity to the whole thing that works well. I'd actually like to see a black & white version. I think it would transfer really well to line art only.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"