Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper shading and colouring

Default Proper shading and colouring

Hi guys

This is my first post on this forum, though i have been following some threads here for some time. Usually the answers are already here so i dont have to ask. Unfortunately, i have been struggling with proper shading and colouring maps for over a year now and i think i am loosing this battle.

I will try to make it quick. I follow most Jonathan from Fantastic Maps and Mike Schley and trying to make something that at least resemble slightly. So i am satisfy with my work untill i have to do general shading (and or colouring) of land. So grassland, meadow, dessert etc. This is the point when my maps starting to looks worse than better. I have been trying many methods (several overlay layers on paper parchment, multiply layer on normal colour layer etc.) Every attempt makes the map look somehow plastic.

For example here is latest map i have been trying to finish for some time but can not.

city_1_lines.jpg
    Just lines.

city1.jpg
    And here is and attempt to colorize it. I filled in a very thin green grass colour to help with shading. I tried two ways of it. The left top island is an multiply layer with subtle dark-blue shade + screen layer for light. Its subtle but can be seen. (This is supposedly how Mr. Schley does it) but my attempt is not even near the effect of Mike Schley maps.
    In the central island, i tried to just put more green to make shade in just one normal layer, dosen't look good either. Whatever i do i have impression my drawings become very childlish. Do you have any idea where/when do my mistakes starts? because my problem is that i cannot idetify the issue and what should i change to make it better.

I have better results making close up maps, all shade, light and colour as normal layers, just lowering opacities. Below some examples.

bidge-battlemap_resize.jpg jaskinia_resize.jpg

Appreciate any help.

How do you setup the brush you use for colouring?

What I usually do, is that I paint with a random mixture of two colours.

(The technical bits below are for the Gimp, but you can do the same in photoshop)

I use a textured brush. For example, the built in brush 'Texture Hose 01' works wel for this. Then under
    ' dynamic options' choose 'Random color'. When painting with this brush you get a random mixture of the chosen
    foreground and background colours. So, for grass you could for example chose a green and slightly browner
    version of the green. In my experience this results in more depth in the colours.

By playing with the transparency you could also blend the grass and for example street a bit more.

If you already do this, you could try to increase the difference between the two colours.

Thanks for respone.

I did actually play with dual colour brushes some time ago. Thank you for reminding me that! I have to try them out more i guess. I use grungy brush made myself, with just an opacity or/and flow set to aroud 20%, pressure sensitive and build up colour and shade.

But what do you mean by "By playing with the transparency you could also blend the grass and for example street a bit more." ?
    You mean the opacity or flow of a brush ? or pain everything 100% opacity and then lower transparency of enire color layer ?

We're our own worst critics. That image is, I fear, quite lovely. You can certainly keep experimenting and refining your technique to your heart's content, but don't fear that your maps aren't good enough, 'cause they are! And there's not really a "proper" way to do anything. There are many ways to arrive at the same destination, and perhaps even more importantly, there are many different destinations.

The only thing I might suggest is to try it without the paper texture. If you can get to a place where you like the painting on its own, then adding post effects like that will give it sizzle instead of being a way to hide inadequacies.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thank you for your kind words. It will give me a kick not to give up.

You are right abut paper texture, it's there because i wanted to see how it will change the map when i put shadows. I forgot to take it off. The map is still far from complete. Beside ground shadow/light i still have to put more shadows for buildings and change colours, beause now i throw them in randomly.

Unfortunately every time when i get to the point i have to draw ground, it makes me feel down and often i leave the map unfinished after seveal attempts.

First of all, welcome to the guild!
    Second of all: Wow! Those are fabulous maps!
    That town definitely reminds me of a Jon Roberts map, you did a good job mimicking the style.
    For grass like that I usually use an overlay layer with a grunge brush, low opacity with colour jitter between black/white for some texture to the ground. Then I use a colour or overlay layer to colour it green. But if you play around with multiply you should be able to get a good effect.
    What you have right now looks great by the way, it really doesn't have to be changed, you can just go on developing your own techniques and style.

Looking forward to seeing more of these quality maps.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thank you Josiah VE

Yes, its based on Jon's work. I am not "trying to copy" his style. It is just that he provides so great tutorials, i learnd most things from him. Drawing maps with his advices get me closer to his technique. So my goal is to learn and get closer and closer to what he is drawing. When i understands how should certain things be done and my workflow become much more smoother i will definately want to develop my own style.
    Right know i am focusing more on "How did he/she did that?" and try to do the same, which is my way of learning.

Thank you so much for the tip regarging brush settings and layers. How about actuall drawing. Do you paint colour in 100% opacity all over the desired area, or build up in some places more, some less?

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    We're our own worst critics. That image is, I fear, quite lovely.
    100% agree. Those maps are really, really good. Please don't take this the wrong way, I am as far, if not further, from your skill level as you think you are, I think your biggest problem is that you're a perfectionist. If I could produce maps that are half as good as yours I'd be very happy! The level of detail is astonishing. And just to keep on track, on the first piece, I like the colouring of the middle island the best.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Thanks damonjynx for feedback. You may be right with that perfectionist. This may be my curse ;(.
    I am trying to finish this first map for a month right now and can not... probably it is gonna be next abbandon project.

Although I can't say I can give any advice on the coloring, the maps are incredible and very inspiring!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast