Thread: WIP: Cahiri (working name)

Wip WIP: Cahiri (working name)

So, I've been hanging out here for a few months, learning how to create a new world. This map has been through a few iterations now, and I think I'm finally getting it to a point where I like the overall style.

This is a world that's roughly the same size as ours. The culture (where I'm focusing on right now) is roughly...the equivalent of 1880(ish) and is a mix of Victorian England and American West...with a bunch of other elements thrown in the mix. The technology is a sort of magic-steampunk mix. There's magic and it's a common thing that has everyday uses. There are Elves and Dragons. Lots of Dragons...

So, with this in mind, I wanted to reflect the style of the kind of map one would find created in the late 1880s, but with a few improvements (Dragons) so that some features are better imagined/executed than would be on your typical map found here (again, Dragons). I'm not sure how well I've accomplished that, but I wanted some feedback.

As you can see, I still have a lot of names to fill in. The story occurs on the Western continent, so that's what I've been concentrating on for the moment. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachment 90267
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guild Expert

This looks pretty good Pairaka, I like the colours you've chosen, they're subtle, but still give it a certain style...if that makes any sense. I also like the simple border, and the symbol in the bottom right corner, it's nicely done. The font is nice as well, and I think it suits the rest of the map. Overall good job, it's a very attractive map in my opinion. You've managed to keep things simple, and clean, while still holding on to an original look, I really like it.

Wow, this looks fantastic! I love the texturing you have, as well as your coloring scheme. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like with a little more detail (I feel like maps from the 19th century always had a bunch of minute details- maybe too many minute details!). If I reeeeeeeaaaaaallly had to reach for some constructive commentary, it might be shift your continent labels juuuust a little bit in order to avoid the letters intersecting with national borders- at the moment it's a little hard to read them quickly. But that's just about the most nitpicky comment ever- this is great!

Fantastic start! I really like what you have here. The colour palette is gorgeous.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looking really great so far. The landforms and colors are spot-on. You've got a couple of typos - 'Equaqtor' and 'Antartic'.

Very nice and well-balanced. I like the general style. I would just rework the rivers to give them more width variation.