Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hello everyone,

I have been a keen table-top role-player on and off for 25 years and recently decided to create a new fantasy realm from scratch. To create the world I tend to alternate between writing down details of the world and drawing what it looks like. Up until now I have relied on drawing some basic maps by hand, but I am not sure I have the skill to draw more detailed maps. I am therefore considering using one of the mapping software applications out there although I am really only aware of Campaign Cartographer.

I decided to join because I wanted to first get some advice on which tool is most suitable in terms of ease of use/learning curve VS the quality of the maps you can produce. I am sure I will then have plenty more questions as I get going! I am interested in designing regional maps and city maps.

Any advice?

Hi Magician, and welcome to the guild.

There are several people here who use Campaign Cartographers3+ (Mouse, Tonnichiwa & ladiestorm are probably the most prolific, and I'm sure would be happy to answer any specific questions you have about the software). Otherwise, most people tend to use Photoshop or Gimp, or something similar. Certainly, most of the pros are using Photoshop.

It's hard to give a definitive answer to your question though, as much depends on your skill as an artist and your willingness to learn. If you aren't at all familiar with image editing software (Photoshop etc) there's quite a learning curve and you may not get great results immediately. However, I understand even CC3+ has a learning curve if you want to get the most out of it, and avoid the cookie-cutter appearance that some CC3 maps have.

Personally, if I were happy with my drawing skills, I'd take the Photoshop/Gimp route and maybe think about investing in a cheap tablet (I don't think a basic tablet would cost much more than what you'd pay for CC3, and you can download Gimp for free). On the other hand, if you feel your drawing skills are a little rough, maybe CC3+ might be a better option. You'd probably get going quicker in the short term with CC3, though you may find the software a little restrictive in the long run. Or you may not!

Sorry I can't be more precise, and I should state that I have no experience with CC3. Hopefully Mouse or someone else will chime in with their opinion.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Hello Magician - welcome to the Guild

Campaign Cartographer was originally purpose built to create overland maps, and with the Dungeon Designer add on is a very powerful dungeon designing tool. There are many other add-ons, but the other main one that might interest you is City Designer 3, which provides you with all the tools you will need to build a city at any scale you like.

There is a relatively steep learning curve if you haven't used AutoCAD software before, since CC is built on a FastCAD heart. We do, however, have a thriving and very friendly CC3 community forum over at Profantasy, where Tonnichiwa is currently running a beginner's 'how-to' course, called Mapping Class 101.

Choosing software is a nightmare - I know! But just because you choose this or that, it doesn't mean you can't add another piece of software to your tool kit at a later date. I use CC3+ with several add ons, but I also use Vue, Blender, GIMP and Krita, (all of which are free software), as well as CorelDraw, Corel Photopaint and Genetica to compliment the work I do with CC3+ - mostly to create my own fills and symbols for the CC3 maps I create.

I expect you will hear all about a lot of other software now that you have asked the question Just remember not to rush your decision and give yourself time to consider all the options
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-19-2016 at 10:31 AM.