Thread: The USN political map

Blog Entries

Map The USN political map

Hi there Guilders!
    Here is my last map of the USN.
    Nothing really new, to be honest, just some more statistical information on the data set and some GIMPy tuning.

USN Political 04 R 3 FSQ.jpg

As usual, comments are welcome!

Hey, you have a lot of informations here !
    I prefer your previous (gographical) version, but this is still a good one (and the topography is still gorgeous). I find political map always hard to do and avoid to do them... I would probably have used less saturated colors and I think you put a multiply effect on the colors in the key box which make them different from the land.
    The info boxes are very complete (a lot of data work I suspect) and I like the idea and the flags.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    ...and I think you put a multiply effect on the colors in the key box which make them different from the land.
    The info boxes are very complete (a lot of data work I suspect)...
    Yes indeed, you're right! I used a multiply effect for all the info boxes.
    My first idea was to use a normal transparent effect, but I was somehow unsatisfied with that, and I was too lazy to mess up with masks; so I eventually chose the easier multiply effect which didn't seem too bad to me.

And the data work was easier than expected, because drawing driven: QGIS calculated areas, population and density for me!

Personally, I prefer my previous (physical map) version too, however I'm going to do a full set of maps: next one will be a proper satellite style.

WOW, thats great looking map, you should be proud I love absolutly everything.

Wish i could create shaded relief like that

Blog Entries

Thank you very much, santos!

Actually, the shaded relief was simply made in QGIS with the "hillshade" command applied to the terrain heightfield.
    The hardest part was to making the heighfield itself, in fact I started from scratch drawing a lot of contour lines, and this is not at all the shortest method.

Oh wow. This is huge How long did it take to label it? Great work.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    ...How long did it take to label it? Great work.
    Thanks tainotim!
    Since this is a new version of the map I posted here two years ago, actually the most labels were already there! The new labels (names of Counties) took place in no more than some hours. Despite labeling was a partially automatic process, I had to do a check for avoiding possible overlaps.