Thread: Hello! Looking to learn hand-drawn mapping...

Default Hello! Looking to learn hand-drawn mapping...

I have had no experience with drawing, or mapping, for that matter and began my journey by purchasing a few books. I started with "How to Draw Fantasy Art and RPG Maps" and it is super helpful, albeit limited in scope and style.

Looking through the forums, I couldn't immediately discover a section devote to hand-drawn works/tutorials. Is there much of that here? I am looking to keep it simple, but still immerse the viewer into my world. I am using them in the classroom (I am a teacher) and need to draw new maps weekly.

Thanks for any and all help!

Quote Originally Posted by Strickhouser View Post
    I have had no experience with drawing, or mapping, for that matter and began my journey by purchasing a few books. I started with "How to Draw Fantasy Art and RPG Maps" and it is super helpful, albeit limited in scope and style.

Looking through the forums, I couldn't immediately discover a section devote to hand-drawn works/tutorials. Is there much of that here? I am looking to keep it simple, but still immerse the viewer into my world. I am using them in the classroom (I am a teacher) and need to draw new maps weekly.

Thanks for any and all help!
    Do you mean in pencil/ink OR do you mean on a computer program and using a workflow that simulates hand drawing in a digital workspace? If the former, check out the tutorials section(check there either way!) for a thread by Delong.........(sp?) from 5-6 years ago. Good thread no matter if you are using pen/ink or on the computer to hand draw maps. Gidde has a tutorial on creating a simple map using GIMP(some of the instructions are dated due to the software upgrades.. only slight changes are required and if you get stuck, upload your work into a thread in the Work in Progress forum. There are plenty of other tutorials for working in GIMP, Photoshop, and various other software programs to make a map.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Sorry, wasn't sure what to call it! Pen/ink is my preference. I find it very therapeutic in addition to being useful for my class. If I find that something just falls wayy too far outside my wheelhouse I will consider making the switch though.