Thread: lots of ideas... very little skill.

Question lots of ideas... very little skill.

I have made a lot of fantasy worlds, but I always fail when it comes time to make the maps. And then all of my unique citys and landscapes look like chicken scratch. However I do like making them and I continue to do so even if they are below par.
    I joined the guild so that I would be able to improve my skills with the pencil and begin making maps that help the plot, not deteriorate it.
    So if any of you pros or anyone who can draw a decent mountain are willing to give me a few tips, i would be thrilled!

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

You will find a lot of resources here, especially about mountains, forests and rivers. I'm sure you will improve fast, there are a lot of tutorials here. Just use the search or look in the section dedicated to all those questions. That said, WELCOME TO THE GUILD! =)

Best wishes, Steffen
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Hi Quil and - to echo Steffen's words - welcome to the Guild!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Hi Quil and - to echo Steffen's words - welcome to the Guild!
    A good tutorial is called for on the drawing skills side of cartography, might be fun to draw one up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default thank you

Thank you! I looked at some of the tutorials a bit and tried to make a simple village map for my DnD game, but it looks awful! If any of you guys could look at it and maybe figure out what i'm doing wrong, it would be greatly appreciated (I drew it up by hand, then edited with GIMP)
    https://cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=37459 Thank you in advance for your help!