Thread: Hola from Chile

Default Hola from Chile

Hi cartographers,

I'm Tim, originally German and currently living in Chile. I've seen this website a few years ago already when I was still playing The Dark Eye (Das Schwarze Auge) with my friends back in Germany. I've always drawn maps for our role playing group but never anything close to professional.

I'm a marine biologist from profession and I have to map information with some frequency. I usually do this using a mixture of Google Earth, QGIS and later Inkscape for some nice design. This maps are necessarily very flat in design and just show relevant information so I'm looking forward to create something a little more artistic when I find some time.

Until then I'll just have a look at some of the great maps around here.

Hi Tim and welcome to the Guild.

If you'd like to get your feet wet, head for the Tutorials section of the forum and try a few. They'll teach you some basic skills that you can develop further on your own, so even if the result of the tutorial isn't exactly what you'd like to create, it's still worthwhile trying a couple for practice. There are lots of tutorials for Photoshop & Gimp, amongst others. You'd also be very welcome to join one of the challenges. They're great for making you try something new and for working to a deadline! You'd be very welcome if you decide to take part.

Otherwise, just enjoy browsing the site and don't hesitate to join in when you feel like it.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Stockfisch, and welcome to the guild. I had a look at Das Schwarze Auge last year and there was a lot of it at Essen this fall at the games show - it looks really good. I look forward to seeing your maps in here when you get that far - remember to post your work in the WIP section while you work - that way we can help and critique
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks to both of you for the warm welcome and for giving me a hint on where to look to get started.

And yes, Das Schwarze Auge is great. Version 5 recently came out but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.