Thread: Town on a Creek

Default Town on a Creek

Here's my first attempt at drawing a town in a very long time. I didn't pay much attention to composition since I was mainly just trying things out - I just drew a 5"x5" square and started drawing. I was going for a generic American town, maybe 19th/early 20th century.

I think the most difficult part for me was the shadows - figuring out where they would logically go and how dark to shade the buildings. I'm also not quite sure about the creek banks. I wanted to shade them to create a sense of topography, but at first I shaded both the north and south bank equally (on the west half) and decided shading the south bank darker was more logical (east half). I also think I should've included some crops on the south side - it looks like there are some agricultural buildings there, but they're surrounded by pristine grassland.

Any thoughts on those points or anything else? What would you do to improve it (besides coloring/texturing in gimp )?

PracticeTown.jpg

I like this, it is very cute. As far as a town map it's fairly simple but I think it gives it charm. Some of your line work could be improved and I think some extra texture could help the trees a bit. A very nice little map here.

I think you've done a really good job on this and the shadows look pretty good. The open area in the top left forest would probably be darker in full shade most likely. I agree with Domino on maybe more texture/line work on the inner parts of the trees, maybe something inside the fenced area, overall quite nice.

Great work one this map, especially for a first attempt. The shading looks very good to me (: