Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spirit Island (Boardgame)

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Default Spirit Island (Boardgame)

Hey! =)

A while back - we are talking about 2 years - I got the job to make the playmat for a kickstarter boardgame by GreaterThanGames. It is a cooperative settler-destruction strategy game you can find here. They recently posted some photos (colors are a bit messed up) from production I wanted to share with you. It was one of the later project I had as a freelancer.

As it stands now, I can't upload the actual image I made, but I will share the photos they got. I'm not sure what to think. I was very proud being able to do this at the time, looking back I see so much stuff I would have done differently or improved on in the meantime... :|

The backside IIRC (not done by me):
    3ccfcbcd20672a8f1f7bc9ea0155a73c_original.png

One of the two tiles:
    7c5bdd0bb5ef714480b72e5466e449f3_original.png

The whole thing:
    ac75f780fd21d91d6ca3f21e2638c433_original.jpg

(c)GreaterThanGames, 2017
    Best wishes, Steffen
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 05-02-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

That's pretty cool, Steffen
    The clouds and mist around the mountains and those sprit/ghoul/creature things, and the color scheme in general. Nice work.

Edit.. I like the look of what the border is doing too but I can't really see it well enough to know what I'm looking at. Too bad you can't post your own picture, but I know how that can work.
    Last edited by Chashio; 05-02-2017 at 10:16 PM.

I agree, this look really cool. I like it very much.

Thank you both very much! =)

@Chashio: Basically it is heavily lined with waves, some water spirits. The compass lays behind it all binding everything together. I indicated North and South by a small bump / arrow on those places. From the middle there are lines going outwards dividing the waves I drew in in sections. The scale on the border is the last thing, lines beyond that fade out (my best idea at the time so that you can cut the map at any point to fit it onto the board and have a little flexibility).
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Lovely work Steffen. I can't see very much to say more than that, but I understand why the image is small

Thank you Mouse for both your comment and the rep! =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    Basically it is heavily lined with waves, some water spirits. The compass lays behind it all binding everything together. I indicated North and South by a small bump / arrow on those places. From the middle there are lines going outwards dividing the waves I drew in in sections. The scale on the border is the last thing, lines beyond that fade out (my best idea at the time so that you can cut the map at any point to fit it onto the board and have a little flexibility).
    Don't get me wrong, I like your maps, but I LOVE how you realize the "filler" part of them: all those lines (handmade? mirrored? pattern? give me an hint! ) are amazing!
    p.s. great map!!!

You really have a knack for the layout ! The sea of clouds around the board is scary as hell and the rest is wonderful !

@Tom: Thank you! They are hand-made. Some of the stuff can be used with copy/paste, but there is no way around drawing by hand and mix in the huge gaps between the chunks. It wouldn't work as a pattern, with most oceans I vary how exactly I need them in a specific piece (and the edges, etc. would always be off). =)

@ThomasR: Thank you very much! For the rep, too! =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Sweet, its nice when you can finally share something you worked on.
    It looks rad.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast