Thread: First Map WIP

Wip First Map WIP

Map #1.2.JPG
    I recently started my first map, and so far I have just created the general shape of it in CC3 (which, on that subject, I have found to not be overly great for that much more than that). I am going to go through and edit it, of course. A lot. Any suggestions? I'm not overly confident in my map making skills (considering I just started), so is there any ways I could improve it before I go any farther?

I use Gimp and have had a lot of fun with it, though I've had to break my map into multiple files along functional lines (one for topology, one for climate so far) due to it beginning to crash on save due to the file size.

In terms of direction, it depends on whether you're aiming for photo-realistic, historical/drawn, or something else. Photorealistic tends to have a lot of edges, and ripped off bits of continent, and you need to think about the plate techtonics. I recently learned that large inland bays are usually formed by plates smushing into each other and leaving gaps, so the two bays could be where two bits of larger land went crash! That's only if you want to go hurtling down the rabbit hole of videos on youtube and long articles on continental movement.

Even if you don't want to go that way, I think a few islands might make it interesting and add some interest to the edges. I covet other peoples' islands.