Thread: Intro/My world map

Wip Intro/My world map

So this is my (almost finished) WIP map.

It was inspired by a Tolkien style map of Scotland by Callum Ogden and created by roughly following the instructions/resources from his page.

It's being made for a D&D game, and it's helping me lay out the world and it's politics and structure (which the players will ignore as they wander around murdering things).

I've tried to do a lot of things with one map and the results are...functional, but sometimes a little messier than I'd like. I'm struggling to make place names stand out on a world map, so I'm going to split the names into different layers - Countries/geographic features in huge letters for the overall map and the names of smaller places on a different layer so I can zoom in at any point and make a regional map for the player's location. (started to make a layer for roads as well that make the world map too busy if they're shown when zoomed out).

Here's the overall world:

map5-parchment-small.jpg

Here is the global map with borders:

map5-Borders-small.jpg

Any feedback/tips would be appreciated. I'm pretty happy with the map overall, but I'd love to hear and critisims/feedback on how to make it better.

Mike

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I love the color scheme on the brown one. How did you do the background/ocean texture?

As far as criticisms, the millions of islands on the north of the eastern megacontinent are a little bit of a deal breaker for me. I cannot figure out any geologic reason for those to form (though, admittedly, I am far from a geologist so I might be wrong). There are so many and they are so consistent, it is a bit distracting to me.

Also, when you zoom in you can see the pixels of the land border. Perhaps it would be best to try to vectorize those, or smooth them out somehow?

Looks good! I think in this case it was a good idea to do 2 maps, one for physical and one for political boundaries.