Thread: DD3: How to open a hole on the floor?

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default DD3: How to open a hole on the floor?

Good evening everyone!

First, three things:
    1 - thank you to taking time to read this post and maybe help me;
    2 - I searched the forum and made a research through Google and I was unable to find an answer;
    3 - I just started on CC3+/DD3/CD3, so maybe this is a stupid question, but I really could not solve it.

Last weekend, I decided to purchase CC3+ with hopes it would help me to make better area maps, specially because of the Schley's artwork being included - and for that purpose it is everything going ok: I had produced some nice maps already.

However, I also purchased DD3/CD3, and I am experimenting with Dungeon Designer but so far I only got frustration. I am drawing a dungeon which will be like a raised platform above a subterranean lake, and I was filling the rooms nicely until I decided I wanted a "square hole" in the middle of a room I had already filled with a floor.

I had tried every button on the software with no luck and so far I wasn't able to achieve that feat. I read the manual and I know I can't expect CC3/DD3 to work like CS6, but heck, it is so easy in PS to select a portion of my drawing, cut it and it is ready (another reason to purchasing Pro Fantasy software is because I don't have access to a legal copy of PS anymore, and maybe - just maybe - I will publish some things in the future and for that I will need a legal piece of software - Adobe products are too expansive for me right now).

Anyway, if someone can point me to the right direction on how to do it, I would be much obliged. I attached s pic to give an idea of what I am talking about. In it:

1. The floor is a single piece, I only have nodes in the borders;
    2. The blue area is the place I want to cut out the "hole", leaving a "blank" area where the water background will be visible.

Again, thank you very much in advance =)

My-first-dungeon.jpg

Hello Shavarath

Though there are many of us CC3 mappers here at the Guild (including at least 2 Community Leaders), there is also a Profantasy forum where you can sometimes get a faster response from other users / directly from the Profantasy Team if we just happen to miss your question here at any time in the future.

The hole in the floor can be done several ways, but the most obvious two that I would consider are either:

a) add a Colour Key sheet effect to the floor sheet and draw the square on the same sheet as the floor, on top of the floor, and in the colour of the colour key (default is pure magenta but you could change it to that blue you are using if you want)

b) if you're pretty sure you don't want to be able to edit the floor shape again after making the hole, put that blue square on the floor sheet, select both it and the floor polygon, and use the MultiPoly button on the right to effectively Boolean the two polys together.

The reason I would only use method 'b' is if I didn't want to edit the floor again in that map, is because multipoly shapes do not respond to any of the edit functions, but you can UN-multipoly it if you really need to by using the explode function that is available if you right click the fractalise button on the left.

It depends what you find easier to work with.

Method a has the advantage that if you use it after any other sheet effects in the list of effects on that sheet (for example a dark inner glow that is often used on the floor sheet), you won't get the same dark glow around the hole if you don't want it there.

If you don't have answer yet, easiest method is Multipoly Tool to combine the two.

Try with a default map. Make a big solid color square, then make a little solid square inside the big square. Then, using the MULTIPOLY tool, select both, and click OK.

Boom, you now have a single square with a hole in the middle.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave