Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sept / Oct 17 Lite Challenge: The Middle Cultist Shrine (part 6)

Wip Sept / Oct 17 Lite Challenge: The Middle Cultist Shrine (part 6)

It's been a long time since I did any dungeon map.
    I decided to take the area number 6 because it's a pretty straight forward one
    and not too big since the lower part is obstructed.
    I have not idea what style I will use at the moment, I'm not used to that scale.

The name of the area is the Cultist Shrine according to the manual. It is the MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN THE CAVES OF CHAOS.
    Yet most enemies are level 1 since it's an adventure for low level characters.
    Part 6 occupies the central part of the shrine. The section lower has torture chambers and fun stuff like that,
    while the higher part has a temple and the High priest quarters, Jenco Semmins (the big boss).

The floor is muddy stone with dirt and straw scattered.
    Red strata intertwines with bulging black veins running through the hewn rock walls
    The floors are smooth and worn by the tread of countless feet of the worshipers
    The caves are lit by an eerie reddish glow, not as bright as a torch, but enough to see in the immediate area fairly well. Long distance fades into a gloomy reddish mist (anything over 6”) but some areas
    are lit more than others.
    If I understand correctly, the walls and floors are carved into the stone.
    Meaning that the surface is generally straight but uneven (and not made of blocks) except for the floor because the manual says so.
    The rock is a sedimentary reddish stone with black veins running. Not sure what the black is, likely not coal.
    I believe the floor should be similar since it's carved from the same material.

I am not sure from where the source of light come from. The description seems to indicate it's like an omniscient light source : it's just there.
    More likely, there are braziers (and other light sources) in the different rooms that emit light but it's faint in the corridor.

Lastly, Bogie told not to map enemies unless they were like statues, immobile.
    I have 12 skeletons in a room that remains immobile unless something is triggered.
    Is it better to map them or not?

Can go either way with the Skeletons. For the sake of looking good, I would say include them. On the other hand, if I were making the map for online VTT game play I would leave them off and use art that can be added and moved as a token in the game.

Thanks for joining the Challenge.
    Last edited by Bogie; 09-20-2017 at 01:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Lastly, Bogie told not to map enemies unless they were like statues, immobile.
    I have 12 skeletons in a room that remains immobile unless something is triggered.
    Is it better to map them or not?
    If the DM calls out the room description and it says that you can see 12 skeletons and they are not on the map then its a dead cert that they are monsters ! If they were on the map then its room dressing. I dont know what to think now !

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    If the DM calls out the room description and it says that you can see 12 skeletons and they are not on the map then its a dead cert that they are monsters ! If they were on the map then its room dressing. I dont know what to think now !
    Remember in old cartoons how there was the landscape and then the cell painted thing overlying the matte painting that would be ready to be animated and it was always so obvious what was going to move?

I'd say include them.

I could include some of them but leave the others. That would create an element of surprise maybe?
    Anyway, they remain immobile unless someone try to steal the red orb. I think they are made of glass because they are worth only 5 silver pieces.
    Not worth throwing your life away but maybe there are worth more in this version.

### Latest WIP ###
    section 6.jpg

I still need to play with the colours. I might make it brighter. Yes it will definitely be brighter but there will be a lot of red.
    The symbol of the cult is something like a 6 fingered fist surrounded by red flames.
    I tried to incorporate the black veins mentioned in the description by using the pattern found on marble.

### Latest WIP ###
    section 6 wip2.jpg

I've finished most of the wall and floor textures. I also added some straw and dirt on the ground but I'm not sure if it fits well. Maybe it's just the colours?
    I don't expect to have anything of decoration except for the things mentioned in the description.
    I could have has added banners hanging on the walls but we can't see them.

Guild Artisan

I like it. Colors are great, dark and dirty.

Not sure about what to put in. I haven't read your section yet. Some of the descriptions are real strong and others are nothing.

looking good so far! I can't wait to see what you do with it!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Over all I like it. Not so sure about the straw. Without text I would never have thought "straw" just "what are those random marks on the floor?" I think your floor has enough texture / detail without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Over all I like it. Not so sure about the straw. Without text I would never have thought "straw" just "what are those random marks on the floor?" I think your floor has enough texture / detail without it.
    Yes I think there is enough stuff on the floor already. Adding the yellow-brown straw and brown-grey dirt might be too much or I'm doing it wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast