Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sep/Oct 2017 Lite Challenge -Caves of Chaos Section 9

Guild Artisan

Default Sep/Oct 2017 Lite Challenge -Caves of Chaos Section 9

Sep/Oct Lite Challenge -Caves of Chaos Section 9

Have a lot more in progress but wanted to get something up. Finalizing some textures and colors, will post more later this weekend. But for now, thought I would get the outline up. (My grid didn't export in GIMP, (I know not wanted on the final but I use to keep scale the rocks, etc) After reading the module, flash to the past(Thank you Bogie), I have decided on a redish-pink rock, blended with orange, with some black streaked in. This is based on the cover of the "Keeps on the Borderlands" and the reading of the description where you find the Caves, going from a heavily dense area to nothing, some bare and dead trees, boulders and dead wood, etc. Right or wrong, who knows?! It's the Cave of Chaos! All is possible!

### Latest WIP ###
    CavesOfChaos_72DPIV2.jpg

EDITED: Got it to export with a grid. Although it looks funky in the small version, fine in the zoom. Hoping my layout is correct.
    Last edited by Kier; 09-23-2017 at 08:57 AM.

Guild Artisan

Major Update. Probably the last for a while as I need to take the basic textures and tweak, etc. Still have to deal with some Secret passages, Interior Walls, Stairs, etc. And then of course all the fine details that take a lot of time and constant reworking.

The color is still off, and clashed horribly with the paper but those I am not too worried about right now. And drop shadows need tweaking and work better on my working copy, but wanted to get this up.

### Latest WIP ###
    CavesOfChaosSection9.jpg

Guild Member Guild Supporter

Wow that is a fascinating texture you've got going with the walls there - it almost reminds me of claymation or something. How on earth did you do that?! It's mind boggling.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Bioluminescence View Post
    Wow that is a fascinating texture you've got going with the walls there - it almost reminds me of claymation or something. How on earth did you do that?! It's mind boggling.
    Thanks. I wish I could do that on my own, but Nature is impossible to duplicate, nearly 95,000 colors in the rock texture. I should have mentioned I am working in GIMP and the base texture is from CGTextures. A lot of trail and error. One of my problems is sometimes I try a small section, save and come back to it and forgot what I did to get it to work out. And then I have to start over.

Its still too bright for my liking and I would like to with the next layer bring in the general outline of the mountain surface, right now its just a base coat. Although not sure I will bother with dressing up above the walls. Still so much work to do inside.

Blog Entries

Oh whoah ! I like that. You have managed to get the depth in just great. I tried in mine but its nothing like as nice as yours. And thats a wild dynamic colourful texture too - but it works so well. Well if your going to tweak those drop shadows better then I need to pay attention on how your doing that. I will keep an eye on the wips !

Nice textures, Welcome to the Challenge!

Guild Artisan

Some Updates.
    1) Elevations in some halls and corners.
    2) Stairs - Didn't come out as clean as I had hoped. Will have to redo at some point.
    3) Interior Wall - Originally was going to try and make the vertical one stone and the others wood, seemed like a good idea. But every time I tried to make the wall it was too thick. So went with wood all around for it.
    4) Shadows - Tried a mix of overlay and generic drop shadows to try and get them to creep under the walls and into the floor better.
    EDITED: 5) Floor - I also added a slight blur to soften the texture a bit. Using real textures of rocks can make it look so rough, wanted to tone it down a touch. I figure at 5 foot a square, you shouldn't be able to see every little detail in the floor, only the more major ones.

Damn, I clicked the zoom and it took 10 seconds to clear, thought it was blurry for a bit. Must be pushing the size I can upload. Really need to settle on the floor print, etc. So I can flatten to save the size, then start on the interior stuff.

### Latest WIP ###
    CavesOfChaos_72DPIV5.jpg
    Last edited by Kier; 09-24-2017 at 07:00 AM.

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Stunning walls Kier, flashy but great

wow, this one is coming quite along! I like what you have done with it, although the orange is a little too bright for me. I still think it looks great, and it matches that flooring nicely!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Guild Artisan

Been a bit since an update. Been working on shadows, lighting, etc. Overall look to the map. I threw in a couple items to get a sense of feel and how I want to move on going forward. I still need to tighten up some shadows, and the interior wall needs some work, overall dark layer is still on it, and doors went in backwards, lol.

I really didn't want to do torches. I worked so hard on trying to get layered look into the ground in areas going down, and the subtle shadows and highlights get lost in the darkness, and then the torches I feel are natural at turns and intersections of course and that hits where I mapped out more elevation slopes, but overall made the dungeon, well look more like a dungeon. So I am not thrilled with slopes as much as I was before the dark shadow drop and torch highlights.

Like the marking for the secret passages though, and think I settled on the room numbers.

### Latest WIP ###
    CavesOfChaosFurnishing4.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast