Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: November 2017 Challenge: The Glyphs of Kaylaric

Default November 2017 Challenge: The Glyphs of Kaylaric

I'm not generally 'into' zombies, monsters and other beasties, but I'll give it a go just this once

I think the map will probably be a plan of a medieval fort discovered hundreds of years later in the ruins - evidence that something pretty bloody happened to cause it to fall.

I would have started with an image, but thanks to the last Win 10 update GIMP is still crashing on me all the time, and I just lost the first hour of work

Later maybe - and I'll be working mostly in Krita, except for the text
    Last edited by Diamond; 11-21-2017 at 11:43 AM.

I'm not going to make the mistake of messing around with the paper and border for too long this time, so that much is done already

### Latest WIP ###
    Grear Fort 01.jpg

Changed my mind!

Not a medieval castle, but a modern electricity pylon - made some changes necessary - the paper is just paper now, and the font is modern handwriting, but I didn't see any point in changing the name.

Just haven't drawn it yet

### Latest WIP ###
    Grear Fort 02.jpg

Ok, you can tell I'm not happy with the paper and the frame because I keep messing around with it instead of getting down to drawing the pylon and its makeshift platform, so I'm going to be strict with myself and say that this one is the final paper and frame arrangement... I'm happier with this one than I have been with the previous 2 anyway.

I hope my really bad blood splatter gives someone a giggle I haven't decided whether I'm keeping it or not.

### Latest WIP ###
    Grear Fort 03.jpg

Story:

James Grear is an electricity board engineer - or at least he was until the zombies appeared. Now, with a small group of friends who were part of the same work gang when it happened, he's built a makeshift platform around the base of an electricity pylon by salvaging what he can of the housing around a nearby substation, and erecting a metal floor over the horizontal barbed wire shield that's normally intended to stop kids from climbing the pylons. Its safe enough to sleep there, since there's no easy way to climb up there once they have raised the rope ladders, thanks to the grease they've plastered all over the base of the pylon below their little sleeping platform.

They've started to construct a protected compound around the base of the pylon, but the work is slow going because they are short of weapons until a raiding party gets back from the local DIY store with what they hope will be petrol driven chainsaws and a few petrol cans of fuel. These will also speed up the construction of the compound barricade.

Meanwhile his sister, Angie, was running a bar in a small town about 35 miles away, and James has sent a lone messenger out to bring her home to what he's already started to call 'Grear's Fort'. The messenger is carrying a map - the same map that has just been laid open on one of the bar tables at Angie's tavern...

Looking good! Very interesting idea; I like the parchment paper look.

This is a very clever setting for the zombie fortress, Mouse. I'm looking forward to seeing it develop.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by LordCartoart View Post
    Looking good! Very interesting idea; I like the parchment paper look.
    Thanks LC

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    This is a very clever setting for the zombie fortress, Mouse. I'm looking forward to seeing it develop.
    Thank you Wingshaw

Not really that clever. I was just looking out of the window and trying to work out whether I would prefer to try and barricade myself in the pub, or inside my own flat, when I noticed the pylons

I might regret my choice, since I've been trying to draw a clear/simple diagram of a pylon for the last 2 hours! LOL!

Guild Expert

Looks good so far Mouse, I love that fon't... I imagine we'll see another great challenge map from you.

Thanks Kacey

I'm not aiming for a really fancy photorealistic map this time. Just an illustrated instruction letter from James to his sister telling her how to get to his new fort.

Mind you, this pylon is proving to be the world's biggest headache! LOL! There are just so many girders all over the place I think I may have to do a cut away thing so they don't get in the way of the map

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast