Thread: WIP - Jola - My First Map

Default WIP - Jola - My First Map

Howdy.

I'm new to both mapping and this forum. As a GM of a sci-fi RPG I've had trouble finding good quality planet maps that I can use for my setting. I've tried some of the world generators out there and have always been disappointed in the quality of the results. So, here I am trying to do it myself!

This map was made using the excellent Saderan tutorial by Tear: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=8086 I'm fairly happy with the results so far, but I'm interested in feedback by more experienced mappers. I'm also attempting to streamline the method some so I can batch out a world in just a few hours. I've found several optimizations so far though this map took about 6 hours as I played around. The next step is to add all of the labels.

I'm not quite sure what proper etiquette is, so this image is scaled down. Please let me know what you think!

Jola.png

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I do like what you've got so far - it's very effective. I'm a little thrown by the angle you have your light coming in at, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I do like what you've got so far - it's very effective. I'm a little thrown by the angle you have your light coming in at, though.
    Thanks! Can you be a little more specific about the lighting? Is there a standard direction that it would normally be from?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Generally most people have it coming in at an angle, from the left or right. To see it from the top like that just messes with my perspective a bit. It's not wrong, just different.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by RARay View Post
    Thanks! Can you be a little more specific about the lighting? Is there a standard direction that it would normally be from?
    Most maps have the light coming from the upper left corner, creating shadows toward the lower right. It is one of those conventions that is so common that when it doesn't get used, the resulting maps seems a little bit off.

I love the land forms; looking forward to seeing the map with all the labels. Additionally, I could see a big, branching Amazon type river in the forested northwest area.