Thread: Long time lurker, first time poster

Guild Novice

Default Long time lurker, first time poster

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking here for a long time, admiring the many beautiful maps and learning about the various styles and methods used to make them. I have been interested in maps for as long as I can remember and have doodled many islands and continents. I have decided to make an effort to improve from drawings in margins and on backs of pages to intentional creations. I have followed a number of tutorials and found them to be very helpful. I look forward to learning and creating even more.

I made my first ever GIMP map yesterday by very closely following the six video tutorial called "Gimping Ain't Easy or is it" on youtube from The Coffee Bean GM. It took me hours to create something very rudimentary, but I now have a much better grasp on the basics. WARNING: given the level of artistic sophistication I usually see here, this piece of junk will probably hurt your eyes

Practice 1.png

Guild Journeyer

No, that's a great start! My only suggestion would be to make the roads either darker, or give them a really thin outline in a darker orange. That color doesn't pop very well against the vibrant green.

And welcome to the forums!

Impressive

Looks really nice - I love that mountains

Maybe there's a way to get the cities and castles a little darker, so that there's more contrast?

Ah and welcome