Thread: Map of Adiel

Wip Map of Adiel

This is for a seafarer story I am writing. Feedback would be wonderful. I'm using the atlas style tutorial, but don't seem to be getting the same results on my mountains.

Map.jpg

There is too much land and not enough water in my opinion and it doesn't look natural at all.
    You should delete some of the landmasses in between or trim down some continents while also keeping some smaller islands/continents.
    The poles are both wrong. At the top and bottomost of the map, you can either have water or land not both (for each pole) If your map is cropped and doesn't show the poles, then it is not a problem.
    The pole is a simple point stretched as a thin line, you can't have 2 different things at the very same place.

The concept is that this was once a single continent. This is what's left after a huge magical upheaval. It's not the entire world. Scale-wise, the original continent was about the equivalent of Australia.

In that case why not show the ocean around it? It would really help to contextualize the map. I also might suggest including a scale if not for the benefit of your audience, then simply for yourself to help plot out journeys and such. It is a sea faring story after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    There is too much land and not enough water in my opinion and it doesn't look natural at all.
    You should delete some of the landmasses in between or trim down some continents while also keeping some smaller islands/continents.
    The poles are both wrong. At the top and bottomost of the map, you can either have water or land not both (for each pole) If your map is cropped and doesn't show the poles, then it is not a problem.
    The pole is a simple point stretched as a thin line, you can't have 2 different things at the very same place.
    Just Saying I Agree. Just delete some of the inner land masses

Yeah, it definitely doesn't look natural, but if you say "magic", then, magic. Frankly, it just looks too busy, like you're trying to cram as much coastline into as small an area as possible.

Then again, so do those islands in the far north of Canada...

Buy you say "seafaring". Well, I don't really see seas. I see a ton of interconnected passages that are not navigationally challenging. I'd recommend spreading things out a bit more. Here's a neat project that has many islands, but also broad reaches.

Oh, and rivers rarely split and reconnect like that.

When do I get my Rover Police Badge?
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-20-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    My decade-long worldbuilding project: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...=25569&page=10

Handwaving geography is fine, but design wise, it looks bland and uninteresting. Organising the landmasses into island chains, or having some landmasses be much bigger than others is more interesting.