Thread: Obligatory New Kid Post

Default Obligatory New Kid Post

Hey everyone!
    For the past while I've been low-key lurking, trying to decide whether I should bite the bullet and make an account on here. I guess you can tell what I ultimately chose!
    I'm a lifelong fantasy and mythology nerd, calligraphy and typography dork, linguist, and occasional visual artist. Yet, somehow, I'd never thought to pick up cartography until a while ago, as a chance to make some cool props for a D&D game that I'm DMing.

I just recently finished my first map, a pen-and-ink take on the treasure map included in the Lost Mines of Phandelver campaign.
    sword coast map small.png

I took some, shall we say, geographical liberties compared to the published map, but I think they're all justifiable in their own ways. Additionally, because it was only really intended to be seen by the four people I DM for, I distressed the original before I had ever thought to digitize it. As a result, it's a bit too wrinkly to get a perfect scan. Oh well. Live and learn.

Anyway, I'm hoping that this forum will be an opportunity to learn from a community of really amazing, talented people!

~Scyld

It’s beautiful for a for a first post I love it and I can’t wait to see future projects from you. I get a Tolkien vibe from it I had always loved Tolkien and his writings I spent much time looking at his maps inside the novels first couple pages. You have your first rep,

You obviously have great drawing and calligraphy skills that will allow you to do a lot of nice cartography. This is an enjoyable map — I like your mixed forests.
    Collaborative Storytelling and Worldbuilding
    Freeform fantasy and sci-fi
    www.LostPathway.com

Ooooohhh!! So beautiful! :O Actually I really admire your mountains and coastline.
    Keep up the good work! Do you handraw or tabletdraw?
    We all wish to create, but do we really create?
    What we draw and what we write is part of us.
    No we do not create, we simply discover who we are.
    **My maps have copyrights**

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and support! There's definitely a strong Tolkien influence, especially with the lettering and the forests. I've always been in awe of his works, which I'm sure I share with a lot of people here.

Elterio, this was all hand drawn with Micron pens and aged with coffee. I do also have and use a tablet, mostly for colouring, as I've never found a satisfactory way of getting digital lineart to look real and lively enough.

Impressive

I'm impressed
    It's really looking wonderful - I wouldn't be able to do that digitally and you did it by hand *thumbs up*