Thread: I like Maps......

Guild Novice

Post I like Maps......

Hi everyone....
    I have been collecting maps for quite a number of years. I have mostly reproductions, as Original maps from the 15-1600's are very expensive. I must have around 80 maps, mostly from the Revolutionary War period, and also from the 2nd Revolution, commonly referred to as the War of 1812. In the past few years I have tried my hand at creating maps...Freehand. I don't have any computer programs, which is one reason I joined this group. To learn how to use the computer to create maps. So far I have not done any Fantasy maps. I take a real place and create a map like it may have looked at an earlier time. One example is an island across the Allegheny river from my camp in Northwest PA. It was the site of an Indian village, complete with corn field, back in the late 1600's to mid 1700's. I have drawn it to show what I think the village might have looked like. It is now a large campground known as Kibbe's Island Campground. When I get involved in Computer generated Map making, I think I would like to try my hand at some Fantasy Maps. I now live in Orange, Texas. I have been a Ham Radio operator for some time, and several of my Ham buddies are into Fantasy map making, because of the Computer Gaming they are into. I have looked around on this site and see where GIMP is a recommended first program to try for artistically challenged map makers. I'm sure I will have a few questions as I get deeper into this new aspect of map creation. I am looking forward to meeting new folks involved in this hobby. I tried to post this yesterday, but when I hit the post button it kicked it out saying there and been a security toked missing, so I hope it goes this time.....I also failed to add that my ancestors built a castle in 1530 in Derbyshire England. It is named Barlborough Hall. It is still standing. I visited it back in 2000.

Benny-W5TYZ
    Last edited by Benny; 01-09-2018 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Adding data..

sweet bro, Glad to have you