Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New girl here. I'm Soraya!

Guild Apprentice

Map New girl here. I'm Soraya!

Hello wonderful Cartographer's Guild!
    My name's Soraya. It's lovely to meet you all. I'm a fantasy writer and I make maps. The second is a more recent development. I've been working on multiple manuscripts for several years now and only just got serious about cartography. I've always been artistic and I would hand-draw maps for my own projects, but I wanted to take it to the next level. With my photoshop experience from a graphic design class, I've thrown myself into the deep end of creating maps.

My Twitter friends love my work, but let's face it, they're writers and I love them to death, but they're not cartographers. I'm hoping to post a couple examples here, so the pros and more experienced artists can give me any tips or critique.

Please drop in and say Hi! Or look me up on Twitter @sorayacorcoran

I attached my latest map. It's for one of my own novels. Let me know what you guys think and if I can improve on anything at all. Thanks!

Valen Antique.jpg

Ssssssshhhhhhh... I am going to tell you a secret... Your friends are right to love your work. That's a nice looking bit of work you posted there.

Oh, and welcome to the Guild.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Hi Soraya! Welcome to the guild!

Your map looks really really great! If this is just the beginning of your mapmaking, I think you have a great future ahead.

One thing I would mention (even though I'm not a pro or a more experienced artist ) is that the sea on the right is a bit hard to distinguish from the land because of the similar colors that you used there. It took me a little while to figure out what is sea and what is land. The bottom-left side is perfect, though.

Anyway, great job! Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing more.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

I have to concurr, except for the eastern sea this map is damn near perfect! Welcome!

Hey Soraya, welcome to the Guild.
    And a nice intro there. Always love a hello that comes with a map.

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    I have to concurr, except for the eastern sea this map is damn near perfect! Welcome!
    I agree. The color being mostly the same as the land... it doesn't read right away as sea.
    The texture for the the southern waste and the tundra adds a lot.

Really nice work. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    And that's how you tell a pro from a noob... the pro says "the eastern sea"; the noob says "the sea on the right"

Lovely

Your friends are right, Soraya

Welcome to the Guild

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Ssssssshhhhhhh... I am going to tell you a secret... Your friends are right to love your work. That's a nice looking bit of work you posted there.

Oh, and welcome to the Guild.

GW
    Thank you! It's nice to meet you, Greason

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by nopkin View Post
    Hi Soraya! Welcome to the guild!

Your map looks really really great! If this is just the beginning of your mapmaking, I think you have a great future ahead.

One thing I would mention (even though I'm not a pro or a more experienced artist ) is that the sea on the right is a bit hard to distinguish from the land because of the similar colors that you used there. It took me a little while to figure out what is sea and what is land. The bottom-left side is perfect, though.

Anyway, great job! Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing more.
    Thanks!
    I see what you mean there, with the EASTERN sea It's because of the texture I used beneath the layers, the values aren't the same throughout. I'll see what I can do to darken that side up more to match. Nice to meet you!

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Hey Soraya, welcome to the Guild.
    And a nice intro there. Always love a hello that comes with a map.

I agree. The color being mostly the same as the land... it doesn't read right away as sea.
    The texture for the the southern waste and the tundra adds a lot.

Really nice work. Look forward to seeing more of your work.
    Thank you ! The underlying texture has different values, so I see what you mean. Pretty sure I can change that, no problem
    Nice to meet you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast