Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kacey's Practice sketches, experiments and not so mapy things

Guild Expert

Default Kacey's Practice sketches, experiments and not so mapy things

I'm hopping this thread can be sort of a catch all for the things I don't normally post here at the guild because I don't want to start a million threads for tiny things that will probably never be finished or are just for practice and learning. I may also post some other non mappy things here that I work on when I'm not doing maps.

As always feel free to critique my work, I hope that this thread will help me improve on some of the things that I struggle with.

Like trees.... I did this little sketch today to practice trees, the mountains here aren't spectacular but that wasn't the point, I may try colouring and shading it later when the little ones go to sleep. It's not very big so sorry for the poor resolution, I think it was like 3 inches then I enlarged it to 6 and sharpend it a bit but still the quality is not good.

Little tree test .png

Guild Expert

I added some color and shading, definitely need more practice on trees... Sorry again for the poor resolution.

Little experiment map.png

It's looking great, Kacey!
    Your forests are very nice. Did you try to indicate the topography under them? Sometimes, it "anchors" them more efficiently in the land, so to speak.

Looks really well done Kacey.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Arkidemis's Avatar

The trees made the B&W version look a bit off, but with they coloring the map looks very nice.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    It's looking great, Kacey!
    Your forests are very nice. Did you try to indicate the topography under them? Sometimes, it "anchors" them more efficiently in the land, so to speak.
    Thanks Ilanthar, that's a really good tip I hadn't thought of that, I'll definitely try to accentuate that in the next one. I'd like to try some more cliffs and chasms too that's anther area I feel I'm lacking in.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Looks really well done Kacey.
    Thanks Voolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkidemis View Post
    The trees made the B&W version look a bit off, but with they coloring the map looks very nice.
    Thanks Arkidemis, I agree with you on the version with only lines, if I were doing a proper black and white map I would definitely do things differently that's something I'd like to tackle in the future as well as full color which I haven't managed to pull off yet. I depend too much on the back round texture and haven't managed to make anything look good in anything other then sepia tones and subtle colours so I feel a little limited in the styles I'm able to produce.

That's great to see you start such a thread as it means more maps from you And I love that style !

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Hey, this looks great. I think it's really cool that you did the outlining with the intention of colouring, I hadn't thought of that before. I really like the ravine a lot, and those mountains are cool.
    Cheers,
    Meshon

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Lovely work, kacey. I'm really enjoying this style of yours.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert

Thanks Thomas, Meshon and ChickPea I appreciate the kind words.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast