Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **JUST FOR FUN** April / May '18 Lite Challenge: King Crimson

Map **JUST FOR FUN** April / May '18 Lite Challenge: King Crimson

Bogie has kindly let me join in the Lite Challenge again, even though I'm not eligible. This is a just for fun entry that won't be in the voting, so I'm not using the Latest WIP tag.

I was trying to think of some fantasy-themed band names, and I came up with King Crimson (70s prog rock kinda thing). I've always liked that flower power/psychedelic style, so I thought I would try something along those lines. I, err, may have got a bit carried away with the colour, so sunglasses at the ready. I played a bit fast & loose with Bogie's land shape, and used Gimp's sphere filter thingie.

If you think it's a bit over the top, just blame all that acid that I took before I started (I jest, I jest!)

I haven't had anywhere near the time I hoped to spend on this, but I'm posting what I've got in an effort to motivate me on to finish it. I'm going to do a forest or two and some labelling, but that'll probably be it. I suspect the geography probably doesn't make any damn sense, but I was having so much fun. Of course, that may have been the drugs....

Oh, and what do you mean you've never heard of Cold Fairyland? Don't you listen to any Chinese prog rock?! They've got a wikidpedia page n' everything.

kingcrimson.jpg
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Far out Baby!! Keep on Truckin' & Trippin' with this cool stuff! I see you even snuck a little Jimmie in there. Groovie!

Haha, a very great one, which makes me smile a lot ! I'm sad you're not eligible, you would have my vote for sure ! Colors and style are just perfect ^^

That's my kind of map/poster. Reminds me of High School and College, listening to Prog Rock alot, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Genesis (with Pete Gabriel), Yes and others. You captured it pretty well here!

Very nice! You have definitely a knack for design, CP!

Thanks so much for the comments, everyone. Appreciate it.

I'm hoping to get labelling tomorrow and will have an update in a day or two. I need to research some more band names.

@snodsy Good to see you back posting again. You've been missed.

Very slick design ChickPea and very coherent with the theme, too!

Thanks for posting.

Oh I LOVE the colour

That's a terrific design. Too bad about not being eligible to enter properly!

Thanks, Weery & Mouse. Glad you like it.

Here's an update. I'm continuing the slightly over the top theme with the labelling too. I quite like the little banners, though they take up a lot of space. I'm not really sold on the yellow/gold-ish text without the banner background (for example, where I've labelled the mountains). I struggled to find a colour that fit with the theme yet stood out well against the background. I suppose that's the problem when you use strong colours.

I just finished it in a bit of a rush, so I might look at it again tomorrow and decide I hate it...! I'll see how I feel in the morning.

kingcrimson.jpg

The labels are great, ChickPea! The Sly Stones? LOL!

If you feel an irresistible urge to change them somehow, possibly make the labels a smidgen paler - towards cream? Difficult to visualise so I can't really say. I think the actual colour is fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast