Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: July / Aug '18 Lite Challenge: Rekhan's Workshop

Default July / Aug '18 Lite Challenge: Rekhan's Workshop

Against my better judgement - isn't it always... - I'm going to take on another personal goal and enter the challenge! I am going to draw an island in the flavor of Myst. I'm including some features that have been in my head for a while, including the Myst-like mechanical elements, descriptive annotations, putting these rocks from near where I live in the snow, and going back to my good ol' color pencils.

To start off, today I built up all the major elements of the island and inked them, to make copying them into the second map easier. I'm going with a shaky-hand sketch style to obscure differences between the two maps.

### Latest WIP ###
    WIN_20180727_17_24_29_Pro.jpg

Rekhan's workshop is in the northwest corner of the island. There, he has living quarters, shop space, an observatory, a derrick to bring cargo up from the nearby docks, and one end of a tramway that threads through the island. A path leads down from the workshop to the docks, and beyond that, to a mechanical maintenance shed and a lagoon where Rekhan goes fishing to sustain himself. By tram, he can quickly get to the maintenance shed, into the storehouse within the mountain, to the lagoon, and out to a rotating refractor device that he uses to conduct experiments and perfect his arts.

Now I just have to copy all this onto the facing page of my notebook, and I can start to add the seasonal details...

Welcome to the Challenge! We were getting lonely in here!

Love your idea.

Thanks, Bogie.

Today I completed duplicating the map onto the facing page, and I'm starting to add the seasonal details. Mostly, so far, that's sea ice and snow drifts (which will be much more obvious after I've taken the colored pencils to this. I'm debating a little bit what to do with the path - I kind of want to just add footprints showing where it leads, but that would mean that the whole island is snow-blanketed, and then I won't be able to color it as much. However, that would certainly make the difference in seasons more dramatic!

### Latest WIP ###
    WIN_20180728_17_57_09_Pro.jpg

I'm really pleased with how this is coming. I haven't sat down for a few hours to do straight mapping for quite a while, and it's a nice reminder how quickly I can go when I do. By the way, this has all been with a 005 Pigma Micron so far.

More details to come, and coloring!

Ooooh, that's a good start ! I really love the seasonal difference and look forward to see it colored !

Looking good! Interested to see the coloured version.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks Mistybee and Chickpea!

I decided to show footprints in the snow, and I went nuts with tiny strokes of the pen. I am gonna have to make sure I capture this map at high enough resolution for the forum...I have a bad habit of doing things at tiny scale.

I was pleased to find a brown 005 Micron yesterday! I can use it to scratch in Rekhan's notes around the margins of the map.

Here's a pretty good picture:

### Latest WIP ###
    WIN_20180730_19_21_04_Pro.jpg

Amazing detail in such a small format.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Very cool! I like the idea of including some of Rekhan's notes in the margins.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected NarramoreArt's Avatar

Just read the weekly round up and decided to check out the lite challenge.
    Yours is probably my favourite wip of the bunch so far!
    Nice to see a fellow traditional artist on the site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast