Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August 2018 Challenge: Eldisse

Default August 2018 Challenge: Eldisse

Seeing as everyone seems to be jumping into this challenge quite late, I thought I may as well throw my hat in the ring too. I haven’t got a WIP yet but should have one by later tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

Eldisse is a small Island which over a long period of time has become a monastery and renowned centre of learning...

Here you go...

### Latest WIP ###
    Eldisse.png

...and a bit of colour to get an idea of what is where...

### Latest WIP ###
    Eldisse.png

So this gives an idea of the basic landform. Eventually there will be three images, one of the island in very early settlement form with probably just a couple of farmsteads, a boat on the beach, and a trail leading between the two. There will also be a corresponding trail leading up the large valley on the mainland from the other beach. The second one will most likely have a small church, a small settlement of probably 20-30 houses and a few farms. There will be a rope bridge connecting the island to the mainland, and a jetty will have been built. The third one will have an established monastery with a large church/cathedral, and a substantial settlement on the island. The farms will have been mainly forced out to make room for other buildings, and there will be a settlement over on the mainland as well. The bridge may well have been replaced with a slightly more substantial structure.

Right, spent several hours tonight trying to get the colours a lot better. Not completely happy with it, but it's better.

Shading next, and that's going to be a bit of a marathon session too.

### Latest WIP ###
    Eldisse.png

I'm not really convinced by the sea, right now, but the land and cliffs are spectacular!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I'm not really convinced by the sea, right now, but the land and cliffs are spectacular!
    Thanks Ilanthar, I'm also really not convinced by the sea either... I've tried something much darker on this one, although I'll probably still change it completely.

Anyway, I've been having a bit of a nightmare with the cliff shading - no matter what I do it just doesnt seem to look right. I initially tried cast shadows for it, but that looked all wrong, now switched to aspect shadows, but still really not happy with them. Oh well, this is just the base map, and will have each development phase on top of it, so I shall move on, and come back to it at the end if I have time.

Phase 1 which still needs labelling, consists of a relatively infrequently used track on the mainland, and a spur down to the beach, as well as a small settlement, hermit's hut and connecting path on the island.

Phase 2 next...

### Latest WIP ###
    Eldisse phase 1.png

… and yes, I am aware that there are lots of little things like grass not extending to clifftops that still need fixing...

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

The cliffs are just great and the shading is ok for me, I had no trouble imagining the elevation on the map. The sea is way too black in my opinion... Keep going !

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    The cliffs are just great and the shading is ok for me, I had no trouble imagining the elevation on the map. The sea is way too black in my opinion... Keep going !
    Thanks Tenia, I'm happier with the cliffs that I was anyway. Really struggling with the sea though. I want to reflect greater depth with a darker colour, but just can't seem to get the balance right. I think maybe I am trying to use far too much texture.

Anyway, here is another try with some lighter colours…

### Latest WIP ###
    Eldisse.png

I like the colors of the sea. The land masses seem to be floating above them though. Maybe it's the texture, as you say. Maybe try outlining the shore with one color, then outlining that with a darker, and so on before blending them. I think a consistent color along the shore will "ground" it better however you decide to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast